Other hobbies.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I'm not vegan, but I do have (as strange as it might sound) an irrational aversion against dead fish, be it on the plate, wrapped in aluminium foil, or floating in a foul water puddle. And some (what I think) healthy degree of empathy towards living beings (including fish, but also other animals, plants, fungi, biofilms etc., in certain circumstances even other humans).

No, I'm not vegan, but I do have (as strange as it might sound) an irrational aversion against dead fish, be it on the plate, wrapped in aluminium foil, or floating in a foul water puddle. And some (what I think) healthy degree of empathy towards living beings (including fish, but also other animals, plants, fungi, biofilms etc., in certain circumstances even other humans).
I tried the vegan lifestyle before for a couple of years, but found that my health suffered because of it, so incorporated meat back into my meals. I also have empathy towards other living beings and so when I do fish I try to be as ethical and responsible as possible. I quickly dispatch the fish once I catch one, I never take more than I will be able to use for my family, we release large and healthy females, and in the spring I use the remaining carcasses in my garden as an organic fertilizer. (my tomatoes THRIVE :)) I do my best to make sure there is very little waste to ensure that I give that death as much purpose as possible.
I have just never really understood when people who eat meat respond negatively towards others who fish or hunt. (A vegan expressing disapproval though I can totally appreciate as they are living their morals.) I think that the majority of hunters or fishers have more of a respect and an appreciation for the animal whose life was taken to feed them and their family than your typical grocery shopper. I doubt that most people grabbing meat out of a grocery cooler give much, if any, thought to the life and suffering of that animal. To them it is just a food product as it is very easy to disassociate from the fact that before it was wrapped in plastic and put in a grocery cooler, it had a life and an end of life....and usually not a great one.

@DKing thank you for sharing that. My health also suffered greatly when I went vegan for about 4 months (about 12 years ago). Despite supplementing with all the recommended B vitamins and other things, I slammed into menopause, gained about 40 lbs, had super dry hair and skin, and was very fuzzy-brained. I swear that my thyroid has never full recovered, either, since I never had trouble losing weight or sleeping before then, and have never gotten back to "normal" since then. But adding animal products back into my diet definitely made things a LOT better.

My husband hunted and fished in the past, and we did our best to make it zero waste. It indeed creates a much greater appreciation for what it takes to literally put meat on the table.

I also really enjoy our symbiotic relationship with our chickens. They love me and come running to the door when I open it. I love bringing them food that supports their health, and ensuring that they always have fresh, clean water to drink. We protect them from predators, and I am very careful to watch for health issues that require my help for them to overcome. They are oblivious to me collecting their eggs, which would never become living chicks since we don't have a rooster. We are so thankful for their eggs, which taste so much better than anything from a store. It's a win-win for all of us!

@AliOop chickens are my next plan! I have been researching how to optimize their health with nutrition, what diseases and pests to look for, how to build a predator proof enclosure and coop, determining which breeds I want to keep, etc. We live on the outskirts of a city on a half acre so I will only have maybe 3 or 4 and no rooster. Just enough for us to have enough eggs to keep us happy. I had chickens when I was young and spent a lot of time on my aunt and uncle's farm and always loved the chickens with their adorable personalities. In a few years my husband and I plan to move to a small community and get a small acreage....or larger, depending on how home prices go. I can't wait!

I was considerably younger when I did the vegan attempt and know more now than I did back then for what I should do if I were to give it another go, but I am also at the menopausal age and don't really want to do anything that might make this transition tougher. Having some meat and fish in the diet just makes more sense to me for optimal health.

I am kind of scatterbrained. One of my main hobbies (apart from soaping) is I love to knit. I love the beauty of lace so I mostly do lace shawls. I also do quite a bit of 3D papercrafting, some jewelry making (but I am not very creative) and I used to enjoy showing dogs (did that professionally for a while).

I also do paper crafting. I enjoy origami and it is probably the craft I have been doing the longest. I had to make a box for selling something on eBay and I enjoyed it so much I make cardboard boxes for the heck of it now... who said we are all differently creative? I am proof there's no limit to how creative we can be lol. But seriously I know we are all different and I've learned that absolutely no one fits any kind of stereotype. Except we all need food, water, and shelter of some kind. I guess my first creative endevour that I remember was making "soup" out in the backyard with my friend. It consisted of leaves, rocks, grass, water... anything. I just like to throw it all together in a bucket, stir it around. Thank god we didn't have too many electronics back then and had to get creative. I also love cooking and baking. I think my back yard "soup" explains a little about why a like to soap, and cooking too. I also love fixing things around the house (not my house, but my parents actually) because it involves problem solving and also skill and technique and artistry. For example my mom and I recently replaced some wood on some shed doors that was rotting. New door looks snazzy, and I feel like we got to express ourselves in the building process. They say that tradesmen have to problem solve all day.

@Andy7891 that is so true about tradesmen! My husband is a retired custom builder who was not only a licensed general contractor, but also had sub-licenses for concrete, electric, plumbing, etc. He constantly had to work with plans drawn by architects who had no idea how houses or offices actually had to be built in real life.

Likewise, for remodels, he never knew what he might find once they opened the wall/ took off the roof/ pulled up the floor. It took a ton of creativity to problem-solve on the fly, and to do so cost-effectively. BTW, he refuses to use the word "cheap" to describe any of his solutions, and rightly so. Like your snazzy door, one does not always need to spend money to make something look great.

I sew and quilt!!!

3DEC6C77-6D75-4CB6-9ACD-27075D6E2B4F.jpeg

@Catscankim That's clever! You can play four games of chess at the same time!

@DKing I wholeheartedly agree with your “respect and an appreciation” opinion! Though that's not very difficult for me who hasn't (deliberately) eaten animals for over a decade now. I'd be uncomfortable with subordinating myself under a “vegan lifestyle” anyway, for several reasons. One of which is that many of the arguments against milk don't count. I purchase my milk from a nearby organic farmer, who has a milk filling station. I can watch the cows that gave that milk, in the barn or on the meadow. And they have a llama too that's always looking around with a superior facial expression.
I love milk (and make yoghurt, cheese etc. from it), and I like how I so can express my support for this type of agriculture. It's a pity how difficult the general tone in our society makes to appreciate the positive things that (better should) connects us. We should know better. Nobody should feel the need to excuse for reasonable decisions.

Back