Other hobbies.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PARTSBILL

Reaction score
I'm a jack of all tradesman. I've made hallow wooden surfboards(@20) sold many gave most away. I've 3/4 built a 29' center console but destroyed with 2 part pour foam :-(. I've have built and currently use my 4th type of solar pool heater. I also have made and given away 150 dragon wing begonias(all started by 1 pinch of 1 plant) and @200 boxwoods(started from clippings from my Moms house 30 years ago. I've had 200 feet of hydroponic strawberries a couple of years ago. and now to try some soap!!! Oh I also built single handedly a 36x16 boathouse complete with a lift with borrowed equipment and in the middle of February with no wetsuit and plumbing for a sink and got it ALL passed inspections!!!

BTW. The boathouse still stands behind where the house used to stand. I sold the place @20+ years ago and Hurricane Irene took the whole house down. And on just a river none the less. Not enough land from the watr behind where it was or the road in front of it so a house will never be there again. But the boathouse lives on @35 years after I built it!!

Last edited:
I'm a jack of all tradesman. I've made hallow wooden surfboards(@20) sold many gave most away. I've 3/4 built a 29' center console but destroyed with 2 part pour foam :-(. I've have built and currently use my 4th type of solar pool heater. I also have made and given away 150 dragon wing begonias(all started by 1 pinch of 1 plant) and @200 boxwoods(started from clippings from my Moms house 30 years ago. I've had 200 feet of hydroponic strawberries a couple of years ago. and now to try some soap!!! Oh I also built single handedly a 36x16 boathouse complete with a lift with borrowed equipment and in the middle of February with no wetsuit and plumbing for a sink and got it ALL passed inspections!!!
My kinda guy. Oh yeah I’m married.

My kinda guy. Oh yeah I’m married.
yeah.....me too

Maybe @PARTSBILL can make you one!! ..or all of them!
Probably could but I don't know what it is. However.....I'm not cheap and unfortunately not a very good finish anything. I'm more of a rough jack of all trades. I can do it, but it may not be purty!!

I needle knit, loom knit and crochet. My husband made me a floor swift and a couple of holders for my silicone loaf molds (the were starting to bow at the sides). I want a beveler.
I got one off Etsy, it’s great and includes a soap planer. I’m a little worried I’m going to slice off a chunk of my hand which would really spoil the soap...

Man where do I begin with my hobbies?lol
Besides soapmaking I also make bath bombs, lip balms, and medicinal salves.
I have several raised bed gardens the biggest being 16'x32'. Also have a 12'x24' garden and several 4'x16' raised beds. Oh and a small 10'x20' greenhouse.
Make jams, jellies, and birch syrup.
I reload and cast my own boolits.
I hunt and put up my own game meat.
Fish and make almost all my own fishing tackle.
I used to make and sell saltwater fishing jigs but have since given that up.
I enjoy foraging for berries, mushrooms, and medicinal plants.
I'm a recreational gold miner and I'm in a club for that.
I ride snowmobiles for ice fishing and trail riding.
Raise chickens for the eggs.
And probably a few more things I'm forgetting at the moment.
Just too many hobbies but they are all a lot of fun.

I've whittled my hobbies down over the years and especially now that soapmaking has become a (very) small business. In my time, I've done rubber stamping, cross stitch, petit point, sewed clothes for my kids, knitting, crochet, photography (which I still indulge in but it's mostly product photography now). I also love to cook and bake when I have the time and the inclination.

I'm currently growing a number of hoya for future propagation and sale, I'm also getting into hot peppers, hope to make my own fermented hot sauce this winter.

I'm raising baby tarantuals and snakes for future breeding. I used to breed tarantulas in the past but got out of it for a number of years.

I tried getting into bonsai, just couldn't do it but I do have a couple pre bonsai I still work on and a three new trees to shape this fall.

Lastly, I'm trying to teach myself violin, its not going very well.

Can I see some of your products? Embroidered, quilted, woven? Do you happen to run a web page or blog?

These are quilted. My dish towels are still on one loom. 20200501_150945.jpg20200422_181346.jpg20200501_150933.jpg20190302_213201.jpg20190904_012338.jpgThese here are needle turn Applique

Can I see some of your products? Embroidered, quilted, woven? Do you happen to run a web page or blog?

On FB, Outside the Quilt.

I am a beekeeper. Being a newbie to soapmaking I have only tried one batch with honey added, which is still curing. My next experiment will be adding some beeswax, but I understand that takes a bit more skill. Husband used to be in demolition and for years we had a whole load of wooden soap racks from the old Pears Soap factory that we used for storing apples. Would you believe that a few months ago we took them all apart just before I decided to start soap making! However he is into woodwork and has now made me a lovely slatted rack

Attachments

• BFA1FA1D-4600-4E25-B22E-B5E3FCF8A23B.jpeg
    BFA1FA1D-4600-4E25-B22E-B5E3FCF8A23B.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 13
I am a beekeeper. Being a newbie to soapmaking I have only tried one batch with honey added, which is still curing. My next experiment will be adding some beeswax, but I understand that takes a bit more skill. ...
I used beeswax with the aim of making harder soap. The batch has been curing for three months but the bars are somehow sticky.

Last edited:
I weave both standard and tapestry. I spin and dye my fibre.

Another fiber person! Sometimes I feel so alone here. I pick, wash, line dry, tease, drum card, and spin my own wool. I have a sheep who lives in the flock that I pay rent for. My local Shepard was so happy to see some of her fleece spun that she and I came to an agreement. I usually knit with my wool, and even spun fine enough to make sock yarn, which made such nice socks!

My big loom is at a friend's home until we move, it had a 45" warp width. I plan on doing up some blankets with it.

I also reuse plastic grocery bags into knit totes! Like I said, if I can treat it like a fiber, I will spin it!

Another fiber person! Sometimes I feel so alone here. I pick, wash, line dry, tease, drum card, and spin my own wool. I have a sheep who lives in the flock that I pay rent for. ....
Another one here! I also own one sheep who lives in a flock 30 km away at a farmstead in the Alps at 800 metres above sea level. I pay no rent for it, the wool is mine if I want it, so was her first lamb, and now all the lambs are the farmer's. I wash, tease, drum card, natural dye and spin the wool (or I spin it and then natural dye the yarn). I'm a beginner spinner and my yarns are rather unequal but as they say practice makes perfect.

Another one here! I also own one sheep who lives in a flock 30 km away at a farmstead in the Alps at 800 metres above sea level. I pay no rent for it, the wool is mine if I want it, so was her first lamb, and now all the lambs are the farmer's. I wash, tease, drum card, natural dye and spin the wool (or I spin it and then natural dye the yarn). I'm a beginner spinner and my yarns are rather unequal but as they say practice makes perfect.

There will come a time in the future when you may want to make "art" yarn and wish you could do the uneven spinning again. It takes a bit of unlearning once you get there. ;)

Back