OT - Soup recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To add comments outside of a quote, you need to add text either before [ QUOTE =.... or after [ / QUOTE ] .
View attachment 34903

When you add text inside of the [ ] QUOTE text, your comments are then added to that quoted text.

Sorry for being off topic, but this is a "problem" I see a lot on the forum, so I thought I would take a moment to explain it.

Thanks, yes I realized that but inadvertently didn't do it. But when I tried to edit it there was no option to correct it. What I don't understand is how to quote only a certain sentence out of a post.

What I don't understand is how to quote only a certain sentence out of a post.

I delete the irrelevant parts of the quote so that only the sentence I want to respond to is inside the QUOTE brackets. In order to quote, both the beginning [ QUOTE ] and ending [ / QUOTE ] must be there.

And just for curiosity's sake, I'm going to post this and then go back and see if I can edit the quoted post :D Not that I don't believe you (I do!) but I like to see if I can figure stuff out ... and I'm bored at work today...

ETA: Hmmm... when I went back in to edit, it seems to give me the option to edit within the quoted section. Perhaps it was a time thing? I know there's an expiration on how long we are able to edit our posts.

upload_2019-1-8_11-23-56.png

Here's my edit window: you can see that I edited to remove "Thanks, yes.... no option to correct it." from soapmaker's quote.

Here's one that is a little more like an actual recipe. My kids read the Redwall series and like to experiment with some of the meals they have in there. This one is inspired by the Hot Root Soup that the otters make. The kids will tell you that technically, it's supposed to be flavored with "Hot Root Peppers." Since that's a fictional ingredient, as far as I know, so we left it out.

Redwall: Hot Root Soup

4-ish T olive oil
1/4 celery root: peeled, cubed-- Try grating it-- (or celery: diced)
1/4 onion: peeled, cubed
1 clove garlic: chopped
1 pinch red pepper flakes
Ground ginger to taste

32 oz Vegetable stock (homemade or canned)

1 parsnip: peeled, cubed
1 large carrot: peeled, cubed
1 small-med beet: peeled, cubed

1 potato: peeled, cubed
Noodles, lentils, optional
Shrimp, optional

Heat olive oil in soup pot. Add first 4 ingredients and cook until onion is translucent, add a few shakes of ground ginger.
Add veg stock, next three ingredients. When carrots start to soften, add potatoes (and lentils) until potatoes are desired tenderness. (Add noodles in last 8 minutes of cooking, shrimp in last 3).

Now we're way OT. Deleting part of the post is what got me in trouble. I see what happened now though. I didn't have the ending
on what I wanted to quote. Thus I typed my reply on the inside of that. I hope others are learning from this too. I already knew that but overlooked doing it and didn't pick it up when I reviewed the edit until now. Thanks amd, I'll get this right sometime!

The mention of cumin reminded me of this one. https://smittenkitchen.com/2007/11/black-bean-pumkin-soup/ I didn't have sherry vinegar and used white balsamic. Probably apple cider vinegar would be a good substitute too. And I think if I made it again, I'd try it without the ham. If you haven't ever been to the Smitten Kitchen website, go get lost for awhile. I think I've only made one thing that I didn't care for. DD, DIL and I all use it as a go to.

This one might not be terribly healthy, but it is certainly warming on a cold night.

Brunswick Stew
1 chicken leg quarter
1 pork country rib
1 LG can diced tomatoes
1 carton chicken broth
1 can creamed corn
1/2-1 C bread crumbs
Hot sauce to taste.

Simmer meats in broth and tomatoes until the chicken falls off the bone and pork pulls apart easily. Add corn and let simmer for 15 minutes. Bring to a boil. Slowly stir in bread crumbs until stew is the thickness you'd like. Serve with hot sauce for seasoning.

It seems to me cumin is overdone. Of course everyone has their own tastes. Lately, every time I look at a recipe it calls for cumin. I like cumin but I'm ready for a change.

Cumin is a spice that some people love to hate. ;) I don't mind it unless it's used with a heavy hand.

If you want to add some of the warmth that cumin offers without adding a distinctive cumin flavor, try experimenting with ancho chili powder. It has very little heat, but adds a nice depth and warmth to the overall flavor.

I learned to cook fro my Grandmothers. They did not measure ANYTHING.
A recipe? Just mix the above ingredients to taste and enjoy!

I learned to cook by myself and i do very well without any meassuring. However my best friend... he prides himself on being a fine cook, and i mean, whatever he makes USUALLY has a good taste. But OMG you wouldnt believe the amount of mess he makes, the amount of grease he uses, the amount of time it takes him to make ANYTHING and most important: he always uses too much of something. Always. He really really needs to meassure. Cups and spoons were made for people like him. He is incapable of doing something without adding too much of anything and then he goes backs and add even more of something else to even things out and more of another thing cause he added too much... nope.

But i wont say anything because he is a neurotic, he can keep fixing things as he goes.

One of the things he keeps adding too much of is cumin. Nice /s

One of our favorites in the winter- Albondigas Locas (crazy meatball) soup . Really warms you up and/or gets your sinuses flowing if you have a stuffy nose from a cold:

For the Meatballs:

-1/2 lb ground bison (or beef)
-1/2 lb ground chorizo
-1 egg, beaten
-4 garlic cloves, minced
-1/2 c. cooked rice
-1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp. pepper
-1 heaping tsp. ground cumin (I love cumin!)
-1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
-1/2 tsp sate seasoning (from Penzey’s)
-1/4 c. breadcrumbs (or corn masa)
-Add a little milk if too dry

For the Soup

-32 oz chicken broth
-32 oz beef broth
-1 large onion, chopped
-3 stalks celery, sliced thin
-2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with juices
-1 heaping tsp. ground cumin (did I mention I love cumin?)
-1 tsp. dried oregano
-1 small to medium carrot, grated
1/2 c chopped fresh cilantro, divided in half
-1 large zucchini, or 3 stalks kale, chopped
-1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper (to taste)
-A cup or 2 of Cooked rice
-Extra broth (for readjusting liquid level if needed), and Better Than Beef (or Chicken) Bullion to taste (about 1.5 tsp or so mixed in 2 cups of both or water). These may or may not be needed. It’s all according to taste and/or if too much liquid has evaporated off while cooking.

1) Make meatballs first. Combine all meatball ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Your hands are a better tool for this task instead of a spoon. Use food service-type gloves for less mess on your hands......or whatever gloves you normally wear for soaping.

2) Form mixture into small meatballs (about 1.5” or so. Set aside on a large parchment-lined cookie sheet, covered with plastic wrap.

3) Meanwhile, in a large soup pot, combine broths, onion, celery, tomatoes with their liquid, cumin, oregano, carrot, 1/4 cup of the cilantro, and cayenne. For more flavor, you can sauté the onions, celery and carrots in a little olive oil first in the pot before adding the other ingredients to the pot.

4) Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, covered.

5) Drop meatballs into the simmering soup (make sure soup keeps simmering/boiling so meatballs cook properly. Simmer/boil for 10 minutes, covered.

6) Add zucchini or kale and simmer 10 minutes, covered

7) Taste and adjust spices and liquid level. Add the Better Than Bullion and extra water (or broth) if not salty enough and/or more water/broth if too much liquid has escaped. If not spicy enough, add 1/8 to 1/4 tsp more cayenne powder.

8) Add cooked rice and remaining 1/4 c. chopped cilantro

9) Heat through and serve.

IrishLass :)

[edited to change ' food-safe' gloves to food service gloves]

Last edited:
Irish Lass that sounds wonderful. That is a reasonable amount of cumin. It's when a recipe calls for 2-3 T. that I say no. I have a question: The food safe gloves, is it food safe because they're sterile or are the ones that don't say food safe made from a material that's harmful in food?

Oops, I meant to say food service gloves, since that's what I usually use because my son usually keeps a box of those around, but any type of plastic or rubber or latex or nitrile gloves are fine. :)

That's good to know. I had a box of nitrile gloves that said "Not for food" on it. I always wondered why. I assumed it was because they were not sterile. So I put them on, washed my hands well and used them anyway.

Interesting. I wonder if they had some special coating on them? I have 2 different brands of heavy-duty nitrile gloves and neither have any contraindications against using for food prep......which I often do if my son's box of food service gloves are not handy.

Making vegan cream of celery soup this weekend.

Onion & Celery sautéed in Light Olive Oil
Raw Cashews
Veg Stock
S/P

Blend

I love soup! I could eat soap and bread every day when its cold. Unfortunately (or is it fortunately?) our cold season is very short and not that cold in SoCal. If one blinks they'll find themselves in salad season....which isn't much fun without honey-bunny to share it with.

Last edited:
The mention of cumin reminded me of this one. https://smittenkitchen.com/2007/11/black-bean-pumkin-soup/ I didn't have sherry vinegar and used white balsamic. Probably apple cider vinegar would be a good substitute too. And I think if I made it again, I'd try it without the ham. If you haven't ever been to the Smitten Kitchen website, go get lost for awhile. I think I've only made one thing that I didn't care for. DD, DIL and I all use it as a go to.

This looks good. I'd like to do a veg version. What is the flavor profile...Mexican?

I would think that sterile gloves would be wrapped individually - like bandages are - to maintain sterility until immediate use, instead of boxed like a typical glove....?

Back