OT - Soup recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
Trying to eat healthier - looking for soup recipes, especially ones that freeze well.

Here's one of my favorites:

Cabbage Soup

Adapted from:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/hearty-cabbage-soup/

1 lb ground beef, venison or venison sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
3.5 cups shredded cabbage (or sliced long and thin)
1 zucchini, sliced or grated
32-oz carton tomato soup (I like roasted red pepper and tomato by Pacifica)
1 can diced green chilies

¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I like Cholula)

Optional: Parmesan cheese or cottage cheese

Directions:

In a pot, brown meat and onion; drain. Add cabbage and zucchini. Cook and stir 8 minutes.

Add soup, green chilis, pepper sauce. Bring to a boil Reduce heat, cover, simmer for 5 minutes.

Add cheese to taste. Freezes well.

Sounds delicious. I just made up a batch of Vegan red lentil soup for my DIL.

2 c. chopped onion
3 cloves garlic
1 cup chopped celery
1-2 T. cumin
1.5 cups red lentils
24 oz. chopped tomatoes with juice
1 T. honey
3 bay leaves
1 T apple cider vinegar or wine vinegar
7 c. water
salt and pepper to taste
large bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
olive oil

Saute onions, garlic and celery in olive oil. Add lentils and cumin. Stir to coat lentils. Add tomatoes, bay leaves and water and simmer 20 minutes till lentils are soft. Stir in chopped parsley, honey and vinegar. May thin with vegetable broth if needed. Ham would be good in this if you aren't vegan.

What's "OT"?

Vegan French onion soup is my new favorite. Made a pot last weekend. Its really good...and healthy.
  1. Caramelize 2 large sliced onions and one clove sliced garlic in a generous amount of light olive oil.
  2. Add dry cider to just about cover onions and reduce until almost gone.
  3. Add one sliced granny smith apple, veg stock, about ½ teaspoon of dried thyme, and cover and simmer until apples are tender.
  4. Add a splash of soy sauce, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or S/P to taste), and 2 chopped and browned vegan apple sausages.
  5. Top with croutons.
Serves 3.

This is a quick and easy one for two people (or one person with leftovers). We made it up, I don't really measure for it, so this isn't going to read like a cookbook recipe, I'm afraid. It would probably freeze well, but I would leave the noodles out and make them to add in when I reheat the soup-- I don't like mushy noodles. To make it healthier, I would look for low/no sodium tomatoes and broth and then salt to taste. To make this more of a dinner soup, I would toss in some left-over chicken.

Tomato Carrot Soup
One 14.5 oz can of diced (or petite diced) tomatoes
One 14.5-ish can of vegetable broth (I usually get the big can/box and just fill the empty tomato can with broth to get the right amount)
A cup or more of chopped carrots
Black pepper to taste

Optional:
A couple tablespoons of quinoa
A couple tablespoons of dried lentils
Noodles of choice (I like medium-sized egg noodles)

Put everything but the noodles into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add noodles, reduce heat and cook until noodles are done.

One of my family's long time favorites. This can be adapted to whatever root vegetables you have on hand. My stepson's SO won a cooking contest with his version of this soup --

Creamy Root Vegetable Soup
Makes 3-4 quarts

1/4 cup butter (or olive oil)
1 medium onion, diced
2-3 celery ribs (3-4 oz), sliced thin
2 garlic cloves, peeled, minced
1/2 lb carrots, peeled
2 lb combined weight of parsnips and/or rutabaga and/or turnips, peeled
2-3 lb potatoes, peeled or not as you prefer. Use all russets OR 1/2 russets + 1/2 sweet potatoes
32 oz (4 c) chicken broth or as needed (or vegetable stock)
2 bay leaves
1/2 to 1 c half-and-half OR whole milk *
Salt and pepper

Slice all vegetables into bite-size pieces. Neatness is not important -- just small enough to cook reasonably quickly.

Melt butter in a large Dutch oven. Add onion and celery. Cook until onion is translucent but not browned. Add garlic and cook briefly.

Add all root vegetables, broth, and bay leaf. Add extra broth as needed to almost cover the veggies. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until vegetables are very tender. Discard bay leaf.

Blend until smooth with a regular blender (smoother) or stick blender (chunkier).

Stir in milk or cream.* Do NOT boil after adding dairy. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve hot, garnished with bacon bits or diced green scallion.

Freeze in 4-cup portions as a hearty main dish meal for 2 people. A double recipe makes 8+ meals for two.

* The dairy can be omitted, but it adds a rich, creamy mouthfeel without tasting heavy or fatty. Sour cream or heavy cream don't work well in this soup -- they overwhelm the delicate flavors of the vegetables.

Last edited:
Oh, I love this thread! Here is a tomato soup recipe I posted awhile ago that is one of the first things I make when the weather gets cool. Also, my MIL likes this cold.

Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup
Preheat oven to 400
8 Roma tomatoes
2 red peppers - seeded and quartered (any color is fine, red is just prettiest)
1 red onion, sliced thick (keep the slices whole)
5 cloves garlic, peeled
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar (I use more)
Salt & pepper
Basil to taste (fresh when I have it, dried when I don't)
6 oz. tomato paste
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock or broth

Arrange vegetables on sheet pan with sides, sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Sprinkle balsamic vinegar over vegetables and roast 40 minutes, turning if necessary
Put in food processor or blender (keep one side of blender lid open for steam to escape) and puree, in batches if necessary
Put pureed vegetables in saucepan and add tomato paste, stock and basil.

Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

A couple of things I've learned: smash the garlic cloves with the flat side of a large knife and set on top of the onions or peppers to keep from burning. I now have a dedicated vegetable roasting pan because of the balsamic vinegar. I roast a lot of veggies so it's okay for me, but you may want to line your pan with parchment or foil. I love balsamic vinegar and always add a bit extra. It isn't necessary to cut the romas, but if you want to sprinkle with vinegar, cut them in half lengthwise and place cut side up on baking sheet. I don't add salt/pepper to the veggies before they are roasted and add to the soup while it is simmering.

And just tonight I made Potato Leek soup from a Weight Watchers recipe - both my husband and I liked it.

Trim and clean 1 lb. leeks, then chop
Melt 1.5 tablespoons of butter in a large stockpot over medium heat and add leeks. Saute until leeks start to turn translucent and start to caramelize (about 10 minutes)
Add 4 cups chicken broth (I used stock), 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and bring to boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to low and add 1 lb peeled, cubed Yukon Gold potatoes.
Simmer until potatoes are tender (about 20-25 minutes)
Puree potatoes in the pot with a stick blender
Stir in 1/2 cup light sour cream
Garnish with chives (I didn't)

TOMATO FLORENTINE SOUP - Makes 6 cups

This soup has everything needed for women’s good health and nutrition. It is quite filling and tastes great. Keep the ingredients on hand and double the recipe for a quickie meal when unexpected company arrives. Serve with whole grain breads and crackers; sliced apples, pears, cheese; chocolate dessert.

2 16-oz. cans tomatoes (or 6-8 large fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped.)
1 15-oz. can of kidney beans or garbanzo beans
1/2 cup onion, coarsely chopped
2 cups water
2 teaspoons beef bouillon powder
1/4 cup uncooked macaroni, preferably whole wheat
1/2 10-oz. pkg. frozen spinach, or 10 oz. fresh spinach
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons basil
pepper to taste

Combine tomatoes, beans, onions, water, bouillon powder and macaroni in a large soup pot. Bring to boil; simmer 10 minutes, breaking the tomatoes into pieces with the edge of a spoon. If the soup gets too thick, add a bit more water. After 10 to 15 minutes of simmering, add the spinach and the seasonings. Simmer for an additional five minutes. Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Each serving contains 135 calories and 1 gram of fat.

We have in the pantry:
Tomatos whole, crushed and diced
Red Beans
Black beans
Garbonzo beans
Onions both whole and dried.

In the fridge there's usually some left over meat.
Want soup? no problem!
I learned to cook fro my Grandmothers. They did not measure ANYTHING.
A recipe? Just mix the above ingredients to taste and enjoy!

Ya. I never saw much measuring growing up, except for particular dishes where it was important. Soup though? Never. Chopped onions and celery in the pot, meat, water, veg and seasoning. I think maybe old fashioned chicken soup will have to be on the menu tomorrow night!

We have in the pantry:
Tomatos whole, crushed and diced
Red Beans
Black beans
Garbonzo beans
Onions both whole and dried.

In the fridge there's usually some left over meat.
Want soup? no problem!
Why I love making soup - there is always something to throw together. My grandmothers...one always followed a recipe, the other never did. When I asked her how to make something, I'd get 'about this amount' and instructions like knead it until it feels right or stir until it looks right.

I really like most of the recipes on the Inspiralized site. If you don’t have a spiralizer you can shred the vegatables and get a similar effect. I do recommend a spiralizer though; it’s a great way to get more veggies in your diet.

https://inspiralized.com/spiralized-recipes/?cat=featured-recipe

For some reason the soup link I copied didn’t make it but just search for soup on the linked site and they will come up. Using carrot noodles in place of pasta noodles works surprisingly well in a chicken noodle soup.

I need at least a general recipe for soup or it ends up sort of bland.

I love to use spaghetti squash noodles instead of rice for a low-carb greek egg lemon chicken soup (avgolemono).

Awesome low-carb alternative - when I make my dad Egg's Benedict for father's day and his bday, I use a fried green tomato instead of an English muffin. It adds a whole other layer of hassle, but it is sooo good! His bday is in September so we still have green tomatoes available at that point.

I need at least a general recipe for soup or it ends up sort of bland.

To spark up a bland soup just add a little apple cider vinegar. I do this regularly to many casseroles. Not enough to actually taste vinegar but it sure does bring out flavour.

Sorry I can't seem to correct the previous post. To spark up a bland soup just add a little apple cider vinegar. I do this regularly to many casseroles. Not enough to actually taste vinegar but it sure does bring out flavour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I can't seem to correct the previous post. To spark up a bland soup just add a little apple cider vinegar. I do this regularly to many casseroles. Not enough to actually taste vinegar but it sure does bring out flavour.

To add comments outside of a quote, you need to add text either before [ QUOTE =.... or after [ / QUOTE ] .
upload_2019-1-8_10-2-18.png

When you add text inside of the [ ] QUOTE text, your comments are then added to that quoted text.

Sorry for being off topic, but this is a "problem" I see a lot on the forum, so I thought I would take a moment to explain it.

Back