OT - Soup recipes

Discussion in 'Food & Spirit Recipes' started by dixiedragon, Jan 7, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jan 11, 2019 #41

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

I have a big batch, section out and freeze recipe for biscuit chicken pot pie that could easily be soup. Just put in a pan with added water. For international, lb = pound.

Messy Chicken pot pie recipe. Makes 8 to 9 seven inch pies. A seven inch pie serves ~3.

-Ingrediants:
    3 lb frozen vegies I used 2 lb of mixed vegetables and 1 lb peas and carrots mix,
    2 lb frozen cooked cubed potatoes,
    Cream of chicken soup lg family size can,
    2 packages chicken gravy mix powder,
    frozen biscuits 1 to 2 per serving (to taste).
    Chicken meat & drippings. EITHER Meat from 4-5 pounds of chicken legs and thighs seasoned to taste, baked & 1/2 c of drippings with fat skimed off OR Meat from 4-5 pound rotisserie chicken & water added to jellied drippings in tray to make total of 1/2 cup OR 6 cans chicken meat (12.5 ounce per can) with a heaping tablespoon of chicken bouillon disolved in juice.

Debone cooked chicken and cut into bitesized pieces saveing drippings/jelly.
    In extremely large bowl, sprinkle gravy mix over chicken meat & drippings.
    Add all remaining ingrediants except biscuits to chicken mixture.
    Combine thoroughly.
    -Press filling mixture into disposable pan to rim OR ~1.5 inchs deep into your chosen pan(s). Do not mound mixture past sides of pan.
    Excess filling can be frozen in pans covered or flattened in ziplock bags.
    Bake at 400 deg F for 30 min (completely thawed 20 min, frozen 45 min to 1 hr depending on thickness). Check to ensure filling is hot thawed completely throughout.
    EITHER Top with frozen biscuits and reduce oven temp to 350 deg F bake for 35 min (45 min if biscuits touch). Check bottoms of biscuits for doneness before serving.
    OR Continue to bake pie until bubbly. Bake frozen biscuits on a tray using manuactures recomendations. Then top pie with cooked biscuits or serve alongside.
    EDIT: if using one use disposable pans place on cookie sheet to bake

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Sharon Patterson and dibbles like this.
  2. Jan 11, 2019 #42

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

You can also highlight the sentence that you want and click the +Quote on that post it's between like and reply. When you have something on your "quote clipboard" a button appears with the 'post reply' and 'upload file' buttons.

amd likes this.
  3. Jan 11, 2019 #43

soapmaker

soapmaker

soapmaker

Soapmaker Supporting Member

No, I've seen sterile on boxes of gloves that are not individually wrapped.

4. Jan 11, 2019 #44

Dean

Dean

Dean

Hey it works! Learned something new today. Thx TG.

5. Jan 14, 2019 #45

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

This.is.genius. Thank you! I didn't know that, and it's so easy!

6. Jan 15, 2019 at 7:33 PM #46

lenarenee

lenarenee

lenarenee

Supporting Member

Were the boxes sealed in plastic or the type of paper used for bandages? Because any breach of seal or exposure instantly renders the product unsterile (at least by medical standards).

7. Jan 16, 2019 at 4:04 PM #47

soapmaker

soapmaker

soapmaker

Not sure, I really don't remember. Perhaps I was mistaken about the whole thing.

8. Jan 16, 2019 at 5:09 PM #48

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I am not posting a recipe, but just mentioning that your stock will make or break a soup. My MIL and FIL both could make soup out of a boot and it would be fantastic. FIL Romanian, MIL Armenian, so a lot of hearty peasant food was made.

Being thrifty cooks when my mother in law made our farina dumpling soup she would start with at least 2 chickens, root veggies and make her broth, she would then strain the broth and make a sweet and sour dipping sauce from tomato paste. (Orange Sauce) What I do different is save those veggies for the chickens and cook another batch of veggies in the broth for dipping in the sauce. I add in the soft farina noodles and soap is made. This is similiar to Matzo ball soup but the noodle are really very different made from farina.

Another way I make a strong broth is to braise everything in a large roasting pan. Again I usually do not keep the vegetables only the meat. Using this method you have to check periodically to make sure it it no getting to dry, if it is add in water or canned chicken stock.

If you have a batch of good stock in the freezer you can always make a quickie meal

9. Jan 16, 2019 at 7:39 PM #49

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

Lol I think you mean soup not soap. However that is understandable on this site.

10. Jan 16, 2019 at 9:27 PM #50

soapmaker

soapmaker

soapmaker

Oh, the healthy things that can be produced when people spend time in the kitchen. Time is first ingredient to many worthwhile things. My husband is a hunter so I make bone broth. This is after the meat is off. I do a large crockpot at a time, filling with venison bones. Add 1 can Campbell's beef broth, wine, soy sauce, garlic cloves, ginger, crushed chilies, and a little vinegar. Then fill to the top, covering all with water. There it sits on the counter for a couple days. What comes out of there is a very concentrated bone broth that needs to be diluted to use. Delicious!