Ostrich Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Soap - 5% ostrich oil
HP and superfatted with ostrich and hemp
Balm - 30%
Lotion - 10%

eta: Oops! I didn't realize how blurry the pics were until I posted them. I also should have used the lotion before I took the pictures. My fingers look so dry. :oops:

And fat, too. My fingers aren't fat; although, the rest of me is. :lol:

100_1074.jpg

100_1075.jpg

100_1078.jpg

100_1080.jpg

Nice! And your fingers don't look fat :p Thats just what anyones fingers look like so close up.

Your fingers do look dry though. All of your products look pretty **** good to me, especially as I sit through the coldest and thus lowest humidity winter I remember. My hands are so dry right now- they are screaming for some of that luscious looking lotion!!! What do you think about the ostrich oil?

Better get that lotion into those fingers of yours Hazel. Alligator skin :p.

Just awesome. I just got my 1st bottle of emu oil and you've inspired me to get to it. I mean, they're both flightless hand puppet birds right? Hemp and ostrich sounds lush. Your lotion looks fantastic.

Thanks everyone! I'm sorry I just made it back to this topic. I've been busy with other things and I'm now playing catch up with the forum.

Lin - That's sweet of you to say my fingers aren't fat. However, they have gotten bigger over the years (arthritis :shh:).

Pepsi Girl - I should take a pic of my fingers after using the lotion. I also thought the other day that I should do a comparison picture of the lather. I found an old guest sized soap of the closest recipe I have to this one. I thought it would be interesting to see the difference. The one with ostrich oil is creamier.

newbie - This has been a rough winter on my skin. I've been constantly using lotion on my hands. I did use the ostrich balm today and it helped a lot more since it's a higher percentage of oil plus it's greasier, too. It takes longer to soak in so it does seem to be more protection for my skin. Of course, drinking more water would help but I just have a hard time drinking it in the winter. I'd much rather be drinking hot liquids. I really like the ostrich oil especially on my face. It may not really be doing anything other than softening my skin but it does make the wrinkles less noticeable. I like dabbing a little of straight ostrich oil around my eyes. The oil has a slight odor but it's easily covered by EOs and FOs.

Relle - Alligator skin? Okay, that's just mean. My fingers don't look that bad. :lol:

Derpina - Thank you! I'd like to hear how the emu oil turns out for you. I like the combination of hemp and ostrich but I think I'll try sunflower in the next batch. It would be good for a comparison.

There is no one best lotion. The particular formulation that will be best for you will depend on your goals for the lotion and your personal preferences.

If you do not know much about lotionmaking, here is a book that will get you started right -- http://www.annelwatson.com/books/Lotionmaking.html It comes in an e-book version as well as in print. The author has many tested recipes in this book for you to choose from.

There is no one best lotion. The particular formulation that will be best for you will depend on your goals for the lotion and your personal preferences.

If you do not know much about lotionmaking, here is a book that will get you started right -- http://www.annelwatson.com/books/Lotionmaking.html It comes in an e-book version as well as in print. The author has many tested recipes in this book for you to choose from.
ok. thankful

But I live in Iran and because of the boycott I can't use my credit card to buy the book. Is there any other way to teach lotion?

Last edited by a moderator:
I will lend you a copy of the electronic book, if you want. If you would like to do this, please send me a private message with your email address. Also tell me what kind of e-reader you can use. My copy is in English -- I am not sure that Anne's books have been translated into other languages.

I will lend you a copy of the electronic book, if you want. If you would like to do this, please send me a private message with your email address. Also tell me what kind of e-reader you can use. My copy is in English -- I am not sure that Anne's books have been translated into other languages.
Thank you for helping me. I don't have your email address.

Last edited:
Hi, Hamid -- you may want to edit your last post to remove your email address. Anyone can read public posts like this, and that's not such a good idea. It is better to keep your personal contact information private. I got your PM (private message). Thanks!

Latest posts

Back