Ostrich Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OstrichGuy

Reaction score
Hi. Im curious as to whether people feel that OSTRICH OIL useful in soap making. Do you have experience with it? Do you think it's a good product? Do you have any issues with using it or in finding it?

We are over-supplied in pure oils and wondering who can use it (besides us for skin products!).

:)

Thanks!
Debbie

I've never heard of ostrich oil, what is it and how does one go about oiling an ostrich?

It's in the oil list in SoapCalc so someone must have thought it to be useful. Maybe give it a try and report on how it went.

To oil an ostrich you just squeeeeezzzee really hard! ha ha!
:smile:
JK.
It's part of the fat rendering process during slaughter. We have high standard for our birds (before and after processing): Our ostrich oil is processed and the fat is rendered in an FDA approved processor.

Thank you for your response!

there's a lady at a farmers market i used to go to that sells ostrich stuff, and one being ostrich oil soap. i know it helps with various skin issues, but i can't be certain as it has been a while since I've been to that market.....sorry for not being that helpful.....

Yes, Ostrich Oil is good stuff! Sorry to be a little "sales-y," but as a matter of interest:
*Ostrich oil is almost identical to human oil except that it is much superior because of its high percentage of essential fatty acids. Ostriches convert the vegetable oil from the seeds they eat into an animal oil that is extremely high in the EFAs. They captures the living omega oils out from the seed and store it in their bodies. These omega oils (Omega-3, 5, 6, 7, and 9) provide the ostrich with the most powerful immune system of any land animal. It is a very highly energized oil with a wide range of viscosity. It also contains Vitamin E (301U/100g).
Ostrich oil has be used to:
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Lessen the discomfort of rheumatism and arthritis
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Heal burns and sunburns
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Reduce appearance of age spots and fine lines
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Reduce stretch marks on thighs/abdomen
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Prevent scarring
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Heal canker and cold sores
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Relieve contact dermatitis, eczema, and psoriasis
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Reduce the effects of rosacea
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Relieve pain of diabetic neuropathy
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Heal minor cuts and scratches
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Moisturize cracked, chapped skin
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Soften callouses
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Stop itching and burning of rashes
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Lessen under-eye puffiness
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Diminish acne inflammation
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Hasten healing of hemorrhoids
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Relieve Achilles tendonitis
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Alleviate itching of bug bites
[FONT=&quot]– [/FONT]Relieve and heal diaper rash

Although if you do make soap with it and plan to sell it, check out the regulations governing medical claims, overt or implied. Don't know where you're located but in the US, medical claims are not allowed unless you want to sell your product as a cosmetic or a drug and that involves testing and regulation governed by the FDA.

Ostrich Oil! Cool :)

How similar is it to Emu Oil? I'd certainly be willing to make some soap and experiment with it, provided the price was right.

Everyone is being super helpful, thank you!

Ostrich Oil and Emu Oil are similar (both ratites), but ostrich oil is higher in the Omega Fatty Acids and therefore considered to be more valuable in terms of essential oils.

Given the encouragement here, I'm going to post our gallon jugs on the Ad Forum today or tomorrow at $160/gallon, which is less than I can find it anywhere online. We're proud of our products, all 100% pure and U.S. grown/manufactured.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
That would be great! I'd love to buy less than a gallon, if we can get a few people together for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I'm interested but I probably wouldn't want more than 6-8 oz. Just enough to try in a batch of soap and some lotion. I'll have to check on the shelf life. Also, there is the consideration on what to pour the oil into and how to ship.

Anyone else interested, have an opinion or comment?

I'm interested but I probably wouldn't want more than 6-8 oz. Just enough to try in a batch of soap and some lotion. I'll have to check on the shelf life. Also, there is the consideration on what to pour the oil into and how to ship.

Anyone else interested, have an opinion or comment?

I would be interested in doing this, AFTER the holidays though. Im like hazel, i would only want under ten ounces.8)

On another forum that I participate in, they organize group orders fairly often to save on shipping from overseas - I'm sure we could arrange something similar.

We could make a separate thread for people interested in ordering with one person designated the organizer. When someone is interested in a share of the oil, they can message the person with how much they want, and then pay for their share of the oil plus their share of the shipping cost from the supplier to the GO (Group Order) leader. - In order to reserve their spot, they have to pay - that way people don't go missing in several weeks when it's time to order.

We'd probably have to arrange a separate payment for shipping from the organizer to the individual since shipping weights and distances will vary depending on how much oil you buy and how far away you live.

The only other hurdle I see would be filling up all the spaces except for 3-5 ounces or so...might be hard to find someone for the last little bit.

Thoughts?

Back