• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Soap Making Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Ostrich Oil Co-Op

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: SMF is not responsible for any sale, trade, co-op, pre-buy, fast buy, garage sale, ad or other transactions between members.

Please read the rules before signing up.

Ostrich Oil Info

Gallon (128 oz): $157.95 + IPR’s packaging fee of $7.11 = $165.06
1 oz = $1.30

Quart (32 oz): $54.95 + IPR’s packaging fee of $2.47 = $57.42

1 ounce = $1.80

Cost per bottle: .65
US Priority Mail: $5.80
Co-op Fee: $2.00

I have clear bottles which hold 4 oz and I can fit 4 of these bottles in a small Priority Mail Flat Rate Box which would be $5.80. I will double check this when I get the ostrich oil to make sure exactly how many ounces will fit in a bottle. This will make the postage price cheaper than if I used an 8 oz or 16 oz bottle since I wouldn’t have to ship in a larger box. I also figured people wouldn’t be ordering a large amount so the smaller bottles would work out well. The bottles and caps cost me .65 and I will have to purchase some packaging supplies to ensure against leakage and to help cushion the bottles.

If any Canadian members want to purchase, I will have to check with the post office for the actual shipping cost. I checked online for the cost to ship to Canada and it appears to be $19.95. However, I won’t know for sure until I take a box into the post office. Please let me know if anyone knows of a cheaper way. Of course, this is a moot point if no one from Canada wants to order.

Please sign up in this thread and let me know how many ounces you’d be interested in ordering. I’m setting December 31st as the closing date for this since a couple of people wanted to wait until January to order. Once I know the amount, I’ll send a PM to let people know what they owe and instructions for payment (PayPal).

Hopefully, I’ve got everything covered but please ask if you have any questions.

DISCLAIMER: SMF is not responsible for any sale, trade, co-op, pre-buy, fast buy, garage sale, ad or other transactions between members.

me me me! pick me!!! ha ha. i'll sign up for four ounces. I wonder though, should i love this stuff, will i be able to order some more from you should there be left overs? also please let me know the total cost for 10 oz. and remember, i cant order/pay till mid january most likely. Thanks for doing this!

Last edited:
me me me! pick me!!! ha ha. i'll sign up for four ounces. I wonder though, should i love this stuff, will i be able to order some more from you should there be left overs? also please let me know the total cost for 10 oz. and remember, i cant order/pay till mid january most likely. Thanks for doing this!

The total cost will depend on the size of the container. If not enough people sign up, then I'd have to order a couple of quarts which would make the per oz price $1.80. I'll have to let everyone know what the total cost will be in January.

I'm putting you on the list for 4 or 10 oz and you can let me know at the end of the month the amount you definitely want. However, I'll check into a bigger bottle so I'd only have to pour the oil into one bottle instead of three small ones. This would save you a little money because you'd only have to pay for one bottle. I'll have to check to see if the bigger bottle will fit into the small priority flat rate box.

If there is some leftover oil, then you could contact me about getting some more. But again, it depends on how much I will initially order.

I'm all in! I'll take a qt.

Wow! You're ambitious! :lol: You're on the list.

No, I'm sorry because the shipping cost would be very expensive - close to $25.00. Perhaps you could find a source in New Zealand or Australia?

ok, thank you. keep me at ten oz, i had changed my mind after i realized that $1.80 isnt that bad for Ostrich :) thanks Hazel

I would be interested in a quart. Anyone have any idea of the shelf life?

I've put you down for a quart. I had asked about shelf life but I inadvertently deleted the PM about it. I had a stupidity fit and didn't realize if was the ostrich info message. I've sent another PM to ask about shelf life.

I checked if the 16 oz bottles would fit into the $5.80 flat rate box and they do not fit. The bottle causes the lid to bulge upward which doesn't allow the flaps to close properly. USPS won't ship boxes which are deformed or as stated on the site "reconstructed" in any way. This means I'm going to have to go to the next size up flat rate box which is $12.35.

Thanks Hazel. Let me know when and how you want to get paid. PayPal?

Bill

You're welcome! Thanks for signing up. Yes, it will be through PayPal but I won't know totals until January. The cutoff date to sign up is Dec. 31. I figured extra time would be helpful since people get so busy this time of the year.

You're welcome! Thanks for signing up. Yes, it will be through PayPal but I won't know totals until January. The cutoff date to sign up is Dec. 31. I figured extra time would be helpful since people get so busy this time of the year.

And maybe give those of us time getting the oil to come up with great test recipes to use it! Not much out on the web other than a few mentions using as little as 5% to achieve the benifits, to just the soapcalc. So confident I can get it saponified, but not so much that I will be using it in the best manner.

Maybe we can have a sub thread to discuss ideas and share.

Bill

Maybe we can have a sub thread to discuss ideas and share.

That's a really good idea. I did see info about using emu oil as a "bonus" oil on Crunchy Betty's blog. She was giving a recipe and had listed oils which could be used. Since emu and ostrich are similar, the recipe could be made with ostrich oil.

You start the recipe and idea thread and I'll go find the link. ;)

That's a really good idea. I did see info about using emu oil as a "bonus" oil on Crunchy Betty's blog. She was giving a recipe and had listed oils which could be used. Since emu and ostrich are similar, the recipe could be made with ostrich oil.

You start the recipe and idea thread and I'll go find the link. ;)

Done!

hazel,

i'm in indonesia, and i don't mind to pay for the shipping. small priority flat rate box is 23.95, right? i would love to get 4 x 4oz if i can please. this is a rare opportunity, as i know there is absolutely no way i can get this oil here/near here.

yes? no? :D :D

I'm willing to ship it if I can. I checked the USPS site and I may not be able to ship in a small box. There are size requirements for international shipping because of the waybill shipping label. If I can't use the small box, the postage would be $59.95. Please PM your address and I'll go to the post office and ask about shipping to Indonesia. Perhaps I will be able to use the small box or there might even be a better way.

Size Limits (211.22)
The surface area of the address side of the item to be mailed must be large enough to completely contain the Global Express Guaranteed Air Waybill/Shipping Invoice (shipping label), postage, endorsement, and any applicable markings. The shipping label is approximately 5.5 inches high and 9.5 inches long.
However, I'm not sure about importation of animal oil to Indonesia and all the restrictions. It mentions "perishable infectious biological substances" and I don't know if the oil would fall into this category. http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/il_003.htm#ep1382290

Then there is the statement about special authorizations to receive gift shipments that are considered luxury items - #2 below. Not that it would be a "gift" since you'd pay for it but it will fall under a non-commercial category.

Observations

1. Customs declarations must show both the gross weight of the entire shipment and the net weight of each item in the shipment.
  2. Addressees are required to obtain special authorization to receive gift shipments that contain any articles that are considered “luxury or semi-luxury” items (e.g., various kinds of haberdashery, technical goods, foodstuffs, office supplies, cameras and projectors) by the Indonesian authorities.
  3. Gift shipments must be endorsed “Gift shipment — For the personal use of the addressee.”
  4. Many articles are subject to an import license or special authorization by the Indonesian authorities. Therefore, senders should ascertain from the addressee before mailing whether the necessary documents are held.
There are other regulations which I'm trying to read and figure out what they mean. I think it's best to go into the post office and ask what info is needed for shipment and the best way to ship. I know that now USPS has set up a partnership with FedEx so that might be an option.

I'm sorry I can't give you an answer today. There are too many restrictions and regulations for me to understand and I don't want to ship something which would be considered illegal.

seven is now on the list. Yay!

I received this reply from OstrichGuy about shelf life.

OstrichGuy said:
Shelf life is a year (and like so many things, we find that it lasts much longer, particularly if kept cool, which is not mandatory to the product quality)

Also, you can freeze the oil.

Back