Organic Guar Gum

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorey

Reaction score
Hello, Im new here. as of minutes ago...
The recipe below is the soap recipe I am going to use ... I m confused about the Guar Gum? is this something thats in the coconut milk or something that I add? Sorry of this sounds like a silly question.

SAPONIFIED OILS OF ORGANIC SUSTAINABLE PALM OIL, ORGANIC COCONUT OIL, ORGANIC OLIVE OIL, ORGANIC SUSTAINABLE PALM KERNEL OIL, ORGANIC COCONUT MILK (ORGANIC COCONUT MILK, ORGANIC GUAR GUM), ORGANIC CASTOR OIL, ORGANIC COCOA BUTTER, AND ORGANIC SHEA BUTTER.

Thank You & Cheers
lorey

It sounds like an ingredients list, not a recipe. Have you created an actual recipe with weights and run it through a soap recipe calculator? If you have any questions, be sure to ask here before you make the soap. Better to ask first and avoid trouble!

But, yes, the guar gum is contained in the coconut milk. If you have coconut milk that doesn't contain guar gum, don't worry about it. Guar gum isn't something that's needed in soap.

Dee Anna
Thank You so very much for answering my question. I wasnt sure if I was supposed to add the Guar Gum in with the coconut milk for soaping.
And No to your question about the weights, I have not soap calced it yet, I seen this coconut milk soap that I wanted to try to make and the list of ingredients were as follows, I will have to run it through the lye calc yet, It is a recipe for a coconut milk soap and I was thinking that maybe they used theses ingredients as a superfatting at the end of the list of ingredients organic castor oil, organic coco butter and organic shea butter.
I hope this make scene to you?
Can I use these 3 ingredients in small measurements in this soap recipe as a superfatting, like the 3 above
Thank You
Lorey

Lorey, as you are new here please go to the Introduction forum and tell us about yourself.

Ignore the guar gum. It's not important to the soap recipe.

"...I was thinking that maybe they used theses ingredients as a superfatting at the end of the list of ingredients organic castor oil, organic coco butter and organic shea butter...."

The ingredients list says "saponified fats of ..." and then it lists all of the fats. If the last three fats weren't supposed to be saponified, they shouldn't be included in the list. There can be quite a bit of fat in the coconut milk, so I imagine that's why it's included in the "saponified fats" listing too, although this is really an annoying solution. The soap maker should do a proper ingredients list or not bother.

I get the impression you're a very new soaper. I'm concerned that you are trying to do too much at this point in your soap making career.

For example, have you thought about this? There are 7 ... count 'em ... 7 fats in this recipe. Wowser, that's a really complicated recipe. Anyone can make lovely soap with just 3 or maybe 4 fats. People here make soap using coconut milk all the time. Perhaps someone will share their recipe and make it a little easier for you. Or check these threads for recipes: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/search/1092911/?q="coconut+milk"+recipe&o=relevance

You calculate a soap recipe by including ALL of the fats in the recipe and setting the superfat to whatever percentage you think is best. Don't hold back any fats -- you aren't doing yourself any favor by not including ALL fats in the calculations.

If you are making soap with a cold process method, you should add ALL of the fats to the soap pot and make the soap. You cannot control what fat is the superfat in a CP soap. It's not worth the bother to add a "special superfat" at trace, despite what you might read elsewhere.

If you are making soap with a hot process method, then you can reserve one or more of the fats to add after the cook is complete. The fats added after the cook are more likely to be the superfat.

Last edited:
Here is a simple recipe Lorey.

45%- 50% Palm oil
20% Coconut oil
30% - 35% Olive oil or High Oleic Sunflower oil or any liquid oil of your choice.

Welcome to Soapmakingforum.
Thank You for the welcome
Here is a simple recipe Lorey.

45%- 50% Palm oil
20% Coconut oil
30% - 35% Olive oil or High Oleic Sunflower oil or any liquid oil of your choice.

Welcome to Soapmakingforum.

Saponificarian Thank You for the welcome and the recipe.

Back