Organic EVOO Disappears from Costco!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinkativeone

Reaction score
Can anyone else let me know if this has happened at your Costcos? I only soap with certified USDA organic oils so was pretty upset.

My DH went to pick some up after work for us and the employee that works in that department attempted to convince him it was the exact same product without the USDA seal and told him they weren't carrying the organic seal-labeled stuff anymore! Of course I'm not buying that argument, as it takes testing and jumping through a lot of hoops (not to mention money) to get that certification. It only makes me wonder what they are trying to hide or save money by not using that seal anymore!!

Hoping this was just ignorance on the part of one employee and not something going on in all stores nationwide. Would love to hear if anyone else noticed this. Thanks!

ETA: Possibly even more outrageous is the fact that the non-organic Costco EVOO is the same price as the organic was!

Oh no! I've been trying to chose organic oils where I can, so that sounds completely disheartening! I need to make a Costco run myself, so I'll check while I'm there. It might be a few days, though.

Oh no! I've been trying to chose organic oils where I can, so that sounds completely disheartening! I need to make a Costco run myself, so I'll check while I'm there. It might be a few days, though.

Yes; my sentiments exactly re: completely disheartening! I don't use palm either, mostly olive with some coconut and butters, so since organic EVOO makes up the bulk of my soaps I am very frustrated with Costco! Even with the price increase theirs was still the cheapest and the only one in my area proven to be real olive oil and not counterfeit. I am hoping it is just one ignorant employee and not a nationwide thing... I have no idea why, but for some reason the Costcos here seem made up of ignorant/rude/incompetent people for the most part. To prove my point, my worst experience was when DH and I went over to get a couple packs of muffins (you save more if you buy two) and I put one in my cart while I waited for the food preparation people behind the muffin stands to finish boxing up fresh muffins I wanted to buy to get the two pack. Nothing has ever said you have to put two in your cart, either. People are allowed to buy one pack. Anyway, we are walking around the store shopping while we wait when an angry-looking employee jabs me in the shoulder and yells, "I am NOT going to go get the other pack of muffins for you when you decide to check out, so you had better go get it yourself!!" My jaw about dropped to the floor. We had certainly not been needing anyone's help, nor would we have asked someone to go get a pack we forgot to buy at the checkout. We were merely walking around shopping... :Kitten Love: Not only was that confrontational, rude, and completely unnecessary, she invaded my personal/physical space! I only wish I had got her name and reported that situation... Hence why after that experience (among many others) I distrust the employees there.

I look forward to hearing what you see when you head over there. Also, I posted on Costco's facebook page about what a colossal mistake this would be if it's true, and they asked for my location and for me to e-mail about this to a customer care e-mail because they claimed they wanted to research what's going on. I did. So I'll let everyone know when I find out if this is for real! :problem:

That must be frustrating - not only the change in product but also the attitude they have!

But out of interest, is Organic such a big issue when the oil is saponified? Especially for a wash off product.

I'm not sure that the organic part is the largest issue. It may be for some.

As many soapers (and gourmands) know, all the EVOO you are buying at the grocery store has really been a blend olive oil blend, meaning olive oil with hazelnut or some other oil blended in, to cut cost of actual EVOO.

Finally, our stores put that on the labels now. Which is why you could find EVOO on the markdown/discontinued last year (at least here), as the labels did not reflect that, until now.

Have no idea why Costco would stop selling the organic, unless the price is now too high, or it was a labeling issue.

If you don't mind the extra cost of organic, check a local health food store in your area or order online from an organic certified supplier. It is expensive though. As is real EVOO now.

That is the problem with stores like Costco and Sam's - the products they carry change quite often. You can get Organic EVOO at Soaper's Choice for $21.49 for a large 7lb bottle. Not sure how that compares when you add shipping in (I am fortunate to live within a short driving distance from them) to what you paid at Costco but it is another option.

That must be frustrating - not only the change in product but also the attitude they have!

But out of interest, is Organic such a big issue when the oil is saponified? Especially for a wash off product.

It is for me. Organic means that the olives were grown with no pesticides. Saponification cannot necessarily effect pesticide residue and other chemicals used, though I suppose that depends on what they are and dissecting every compound involved. But in the end, I don't want anything like that near my skin. I support organic certification for multiple reasons, it means no GMOs (as far as we know no olives are GMO, but then in the 90s nobody was ever notified when food in supermarkets began containing GMOs so who really knows). I also just do it to support the organic market - I vote with my dollars.

mel z, I am aware of this and this is why I bought my Olive Oil from Costco - they are the ONLY supplier in my area that has their oil come back as 100% pure olive oil. That is why this is so very frustrating. Everybody else cuts theirs. Even in this book ( http://www.truthinoliveoil.com/extra-virginity ) the author noted that on a nationwide level Costco's Kirkland brand is pretty much the only safe option.

As for price, I used to be able to buy over half a gallon for about $12. Literally nobody could compete with that.

Update: Costco wrote me back and they were supremely unhelpful (why should I be surprised?). They said they checked the inventory for my region and there was no organic EVOO by Kirkland. (No duh!) They also said they sent my request for them to carry it again to their buyers to review. No comment whatsoever on what's going on or whether this is happening in all Costcos.

I am extremely skeptical of who paid for those studies cited in that opinion piece. You follow the money, and while organic may use alternative pest control treatments (things like Saver's Soap, Neem oil, crop covers, plus mixes of seaweed extracts and others with those ingredients) it takes a great deal of review and testing before whatever products they use are approved under the seal. I grow as much of my own food as I can (we live on a budget) and have used some of these "pesticides" and they are nothing like the conventional sort. It's also deeply concerning that the author brushes off the need to wash conventional produce as being whenever you remember. You should ALWAYS wash it. It doesn't have to be expensive - a 5 parts water, 1 part distilled white vinegar (diluted like this it will not leave a smell or flavor, even on berries) concoction will do to spray and rub on them, then rinse. I watched a news program air where the reporter and a nutritionist said to do that very thing to conventional produce.

Anyway, while I understand that many of you may see no reason to buy organic this is a subject near and dear to my heart so please let there not be any debate over that here. That's not why this thread was started or what it's about - this thread was to connect with other people using the same product and/or using certified organic oils. Most of the things I buy organic don't even cost more than their conventional counterparts, so I am not an elitist (as some people in the media have been branded) for choosing to soap with or eat exclusively organic ingredients (inasmuch as possible). I do harbor great concern for what the use of conventional pesticides are doing to our land. It is not just us and our families we have to worry about - it is future generations, too. :)

The best update I have on this issue is that I pressed Costco for more information and they informed me that their store in Portland has 482 units left. So if anybody else in the area uses it, we better get it while it's gone. My guess by their reluctance to share any other information is that they probably won't be carrying it anymore (though who can tell). Sigh. I'll scrounge up my pennies to get all that I can before I guess I have to look for another source. :(

ETA: I almost forgot to mention, that if you would like to learn more about organic farming practices and local food systems you might have fun checking out any one of these sources.

Here are some excellent resources on organic growing:
The National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service (ATTRA)
Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education (SARE)
Midwest Organic and Sustainable Education Service (MOSES)
Northeast Organic Farming Association (NOFA)
eOrganic
Rodale Institute
National Organic Program (NOP)

Last edited:
That is the problem with stores like Costco and Sam's - the products they carry change quite often. You can get Organic EVOO at Soaper's Choice for $21.49 for a large 7lb bottle. Not sure how that compares when you add shipping in (I am fortunate to live within a short driving distance from them) to what you paid at Costco but it is another option.

Well, my wallet's not too happy after the latest trip to Costco, but at least my pantry is. I stocked up (8 jugs, each jug is 2 liters) as best I could, though it was a mite painful at $14.99 a jug. I have no idea how much shipping is from Soaper's Choice or whereabouts they are located... Do they ever have shipping deals? Just trying to find out who is cheaper/get prepared in case I can never buy the Kirkland again. Thank you very much for your comment FGOriold. :)

Soaperschoice does not do deals, sales or shipping specials. They are a large company (Columbus Foods) that supply the restaurant industry and then they have the soaperschoice section for soapmakers. They are located in Illinois, just west of Chicago. They sell from 7 lb jugs up to 420 lb drums - you cannot buy small quantities with them. Shipping is via UPS and I am sure can get pretty pricey for large orders but the prices and qualities of their oils are the best I have ever seen. I can get a 7lb jug of refined argan oil (which I use a lot of in my hair care products) for $84.00 ($12 lb). 1lb from another supplier is $28.00 - so it is a good idea to compare both product prices and shipping prices.

I am very fortunate that I can place an order online and pick it up 24 hours later.

Although in Chicago I find the shipping of products I have shipped to Florida reasonable and surprisingly quick although ordering just 1 7lb container can get expensive. I try to order more.

Yesterday's olive oil check at Sam's Club found the 5 litre bottle of Pompeian pure olive oil for $19 and change.
Edited because I put the wrong name down the first time. Duh.:oops:

Last edited:
Good to know, no Sam's in my area and probably cut with other oils at that price - Kirkland is the only one I know of from researching nationwide that has been tested and found pure (that isn't absolutely insanely priced, that is), but I also only buy the certified USDA organic... If that goes bye-bye I may try the Soaper's Choice and see what shipping would be like for me, but if it's anything like when I tried to order some ingredients from Jedward's on the east coast, I don't see that happening. :/ Probably cheaper to get it from the little local soap company outfit (no returns or exchanges, no exceptions type place) where I get my organic coconut oil in bulk. I checked their website and they charge $25 a gallon, which is just over 3 liters.

If I can I may try to pick up more EVOO from Costco next weekend. Do you guys ever freeze it/does that make a difference in how long it lasts?

Good to know, no Sam's in my area and probably cut with other oils at that price - Kirkland is the only one I know of from researching nationwide that has been tested and found pure (that isn't absolutely insanely priced, that is), but I also only buy the certified USDA organic...

Carefully perusing the label, front, back, inside, nothing was said about anything other than olive oil. The label clearly states 100% pure olive oil but it is not organic so if blended with something else it isn't being made known. I've used it for quite a while with success.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/pompeian-chef-size-classic-olive-oil-5-l/prod4250008.ip?sprodId=prod4250008&navAction=&_requestid=186744

From the Pompeian website:

"Unlike many olive oils sold in the U.S., Pompeian is a blend of olive oils produced in various regions, rather than from a single locale or company-owned grove. Since each year's olive crop varies, Pompeian can select the season's best olive oils and then blend them to the same quality standards and consistent taste, year after year."

So, blended, but does it matter if all is olive oil? Hmm.

Last edited:
Carefully perusing the label, front, back, inside, nothing was said about anything other than olive oil. The label clearly states 100% pure olive oil but it is not organic so if blended with something else it isn't being made known. I've used it for quite a while with success.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/pompeian-chef-size-classic-olive-oil-5-l/prod4250008.ip?sprodId=prod4250008&navAction=&_requestid=186744

From the Pompeian website:

"Unlike many olive oils sold in the U.S., Pompeian is a blend of olive oils produced in various regions, rather than from a single locale or company-owned grove. Since each year's olive crop varies, Pompeian can select the season's best olive oils and then blend them to the same quality standards and consistent taste, year after year."

So, blended, but does it matter if all is olive oil? Hmm.

99% of companies lie about their olive oil (or at least, the suppliers they trust to get it from do). Check out that Truth In Olive Oil link I posted on page 1 if you're interested in more. Or, alternatively, you can read about how Pompeian was tested for fraud and failed along with heaps of other brands, here:

http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2013/03/04/would-the-real-olive-oil-please-stand-up/

HTH. I worry what complications this may cause soapmakers with soap calc and finished product, when their olive oil isn't the real deal. Lye heavy? Too oily? Goes rancid faster? I'd love to hear the experts that use fakes knowingly pipe up on that. Seems like a lot of hassle to worry over odd soap batches due to sub-par "olive" oil, but then again - it's also a lot of "hassle" to seek out the real stuff! ;-)

Last edited:
I was thinking about this...

...If they've stopped getting it certified organic, what else has also changed with the Kirkland OO? Do we now have to worry about them sliding into the adulterated category?

FlybyStardancer: You read my mind! So many doubts and concerns creeping in over this, seems like either a shady or money-grubbing move to me! I'm so irritated by them keeping the same price for non-organic. At least in Portland, OR they appear to have an abundant supply - but for how long, who knows! Makes me want to go buy another box full of jugs next week. :(

Dennis: Let me know whatcha think. :D And eek to the shipping ! :sick: Do you have Amazon Prime? I don't; but it seems like it could be valuable if one didn't have access to a Costco/Costco membership and wanted to buy products like this. Hm.

If anyone knows the answer re: freezing olive oil and if that prolongs shelf life do tell - I'd rather be prepared and have a ton stocked up for the Evoopocalypse than not. :thumbup:

The $26.88 price was with prime 2 day shipping. I have a prime membership but you have to watch and compare. Sometimes the same product is cheaper with shipping added by another vendor through Amazon. Sometimes Prime is good, sometimes not so much. If time is important the cost may be worthwhile. I try to never get in a hurry.

Back