Orange spots and honey

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debby

Reaction score
I have just turned out my loaf and for the first time ever I have orange spots! I have used 5grams of honey in 1.000grams of oils. I have done this before but I’ve never had orange spots before. I wanted to know what you all think, are they the dreaded orange spots and if they are can I still use the soap even though it doesn’t look very nice? Or could it be because I added the honey too late? Although I did mix it in well. Just wondering if I should have melted the honey in some oil beforehand? I didn’t use any essential oils or fragrance. So annoying! I’d be grateful for any opinion. Thank you.

Attachments

• B9077921-74D8-45EF-A865-5CEA10D20411.jpeg
    B9077921-74D8-45EF-A865-5CEA10D20411.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 25A530E7-9BD5-4401-98C5-D899903CEF7C.jpeg
    25A530E7-9BD5-4401-98C5-D899903CEF7C.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 28
Looks like its just unmixed honey. DOS doesn't develop that quickly.

Its recommended to dilute your honey with a little warm water so its thin and easier to mix in.
Some people add this to the lye solution, other to the oils before the lye.

Those are honey spots, and they are cosmetic only - the soap is still usable. DOS rarely if ever shows up until at least a few weeks after the soap has been curing.

To avoid the honey spots, many folks dilute/dissolve honey in a bit of warm water before stick-blending it into their oils.

ETA: Apparently Obsidian posted the same thing just before I did. Great minds ;)

Looks like its just unmixed honey. DOS doesn't develop that quickly.

Its recommended to dilute your honey with a little warm water so its thin and easier to mix in.
Some people add this to the lye solution, other to the oils before the lye.
Thank you very much - I can see where I’ve gone wrong now! 😊

Those are honey spots, and they are cosmetic only - the soap is still usable. DOS rarely if ever shows up until at least a few weeks after the soap has been curing.

To avoid the honey spots, many folks dilute/dissolve honey in a bit of warm water before stick-blending it into their oils.

ETA: Apparently Obsidian posted the same thing just before I did. Great minds ;)
Thank you very much - it’s great that teo great minds think alike! I am now reassured ! I thought I’d have to throw it all! Thank you 😊

Latest posts

Back