Orange Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newinter

Reaction score
Hello all,

Wondering about a simple lard-lye soap. I have been experimenting with orange essential oil, but have just run out. It's little pricey, so I began hunting for a cheap source. I found a multitude of domestic products.

Has anyone used orange cleaning oil? Many different brands and names, but all around 85-90% l limonene. So I wonder about using it, primarily as a scent. Though, it does have exceptional solvent ability.

Thank you!

Orange cleaning oil is also known as Spirits of Orange.
It is made from distilling the rinds of sweet oranges.
You would need to check the safety data sheet for your specific cleaner - some of these orange cleaners also include methanol, which is not skin safe.

Orange cleaner will dissolve plastic, so take care to use glass or stainless steel if you decide to use it.
And it is flammable (explosively so), so no naked flames either.
Undiluted it can "burn" your skin, so also take care handling it.

If it is old, it can cause skin sensitisation and a strong reaction (blisters, rashes ...)
And it can cause sensitisation anyway, in some people.
All up - read the safety sheet and be careful.

I would not use orange cleaning oil. It may contain hidden ingredients. What other EOs do you have on hand?

Hello all,

Wondering about a simple lard-lye soap. I have been experimenting with orange essential oil, but have just run out. It's little pricey, so I began hunting for a cheap source. I found a multitude of domestic products.

Has anyone used orange cleaning oil? Many different brands and names, but all around 85-90% l limonene. So I wonder about using it, primarily as a scent. Though, it does have exceptional solvent ability.

Thank you!
And what is in the other 10-15%?

The bottle's ingredients say: "Castor oil, citrus terpenes and orange oil". The website lists the ingredients as: "D-Limonene and Coconut Surfactant". The SDS says it contains 40-50% Citrus, extract, 30-40% Orange, sweet, extract and 1-5% Alcohols ethoxylated (trade secret).

So exactly what does this product contain? And if you go by the SDS...what's in the missing 5%?

It might be fine as a cleaning product, but I'm not putting that stuff in my soap and I'm certainly not going to buy soap that lists Green Globber Orange Oil as an ingredient. Why not just buy D-Limonene?

Yes, Essential Oils are pricey, but that is the cost of choosing to use them.

Why not just buy D-Limonene?
So I wonder about using it, primarily as a scent. Though, it does have exceptional solvent ability.
:nonono: It's a "terpene" used in cleaning products for good reason. It gets the job done! Having tried both in my DIY Orange Spray Cleaner, it's harsh, it doesn't smell nearly as nice as orange essential oil, leaves an oily/waxy residue and it stings if used straight (not "skin safe").

To get more bang for your buck, I would combine Orange EO with an Orange FO to help strengthen and anchor the scent. Citrus EOs in general are know to dissipate rather quickly when used to scent soap.

Better yet, I think you would be happier with the result if you search for an Orange Fragrance Oil you like and use that instead.

Last edited:
Back