Orange Peel Powder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how the color lasts ( or not) in CP? I used orange peels that I dried and ground to a very fine consistency. I added it to the oils. I didn’t color the base color other than the orange peel powder and added TD to one portion and orange mica to another. Will the base color fade? I love the color and the speckles. I scented this with orange patchouli and orange 10x EO and it smells soooooo good!
5A1C1EFD-0169-46F5-8AE6-92CBCDEE1171.jpeg

Can anyone tell me how the color lasts ( or not) in CP? I used orange peels that I dried and ground to a very fine consistency. I added it to the oils. I didn’t color the base color other than the orange peel powder and added TD to one portion and orange mica to another. Will the base color fade? I love the color and the speckles. I scented this with orange patchouli and orange 10x EO and it smells soooooo good!View attachment 45498
These look lovely, I made my own lemon powder and the colour was nice, I left it unscented and the lemon scent was decent. I read that fruit and veg powder gives better colour results that puree. I'm hoping the soap doesn't turn brown.

I use orange peel powder and 5 fold orange EO in one of my soaps (also orange and patchouli). I have had these natural coloured orange soaps for months without fading. In fact I think that the colour actually seems to intensify over time. I have never had one of these soaps go brown. However I do tend to keep my soaps in the dark not out on a shelf, do I don't know if that is the reason. I use all natural colours in my soaps, I don't really find fading or going brown an issue for any of them, but they are kept in the dark.

I use orange peel powder and 5 fold orange EO in one of my soaps (also orange and patchouli). I have had these natural coloured orange soaps for months without fading. In fact I think that the colour actually seems to intensify over time. I have never had one of these soaps go brown. However I do tend to keep my soaps in the dark not out on a shelf, do I don't know if that is the reason. I use all natural colours in my soaps, I don't really find fading or going brown an issue for any of them, but they are kept in the dark.

Thank you! That’s good to hear. I cure my soaps in my bedroom which is a very dark room fortunately. I’ve been shrink wrapping them and storing them in cardboard boxes under the bed which is even darker so hopefully I’ll have the same experience you have.

Thank you! That’s good to hear. I cure my soaps in my bedroom which is a very dark room fortunately. I’ve been shrink wrapping them and storing them in cardboard boxes under the bed which is even darker so hopefully I’ll have the same experience you have.
Under the bed is a great idea, I have my soap in an ice box should I have the lid off?

Aahhhhh... like a cooler. Hmmmm... I don’t really have enough experience to answer that but I’m sure someone else will chime in I just started shrink wrapping my soaps but I don’t know how that will play out long-term to be honest. A lot of people store their soaps in baseball card boxes which are cardboard boxes. But then again others store them in plastic shoeboxes. I’ve heard of some that drill holes in the boxes so they get some air. I would think something somewhat breathable is best but again, I don’t have enough personal experience to really give you an answer. hopefully someone will chime in.

Picnic version you take camping.

Here is a thread discussing storing cured soaps.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/storing-cured-soap.75521/

That is a lovely idea and very cute soap! I will use the idea to make my own orange flavor. I made previously an orange zest soap that wasn’t ground too fine to make an exfoliant and have a minty citrus scent. But using it as a colorant is a good idea! Thanks for sharing

This older thread came up in my notifications today as @Katie68121 liked one of the posts. It prompted me to dig out the one bar of this soap I had left that I kept for myself to give an update on the color retention of the OPP. You can see from the picture that the orange peel powder did indeed retain its color although the speckles that were originally there aren’t really visible anymore. The base color is only orange peel powder. And it still smells amazing. Orange Patchouli (NS)
2B4782F3-98E1-4BDF-A1B9-67A9BA25AABE.jpeg
and Orange 10x EO (BB). It’s been shrink wrapped which I think helps with scent retention. I unwrapped it for the picture. It’s 10 months old.

Thank you for the update! Definitely still a beauty. How much orange peel powder do you think you added? I like orange. :)

Thank you for the update! Definitely still a beauty. How much orange peel powder do you think you added? I like orange. :)

Sorry...I just saw your question.
Thank you! I used about 1.5 TBSP of OPP in a 2 lb loaf. I had dried and ground up the peels myself in a coffee grinder. Then I put it through a sieve it to get the larger pieces out. It gives a mild to moderate exfoliating quality and it really makes a great color. I do shrink wrap my soaps and keep them under my bed so it’s dark under there. Maybe that’s why the color stayed so well. I was pleasantly surprised.

Can anyone tell me how the color lasts ( or not) in CP? I used orange peels that I dried and ground to a very fine consistency. I added it to the oils. I didn’t color the base color other than the orange peel powder and added TD to one portion and orange mica to another. Will the base color fade? I love the color and the speckles. I scented this with orange patchouli and orange 10x EO and it smells soooooo good!View attachment 45498
This soap is just gorgeous!

Latest posts

Back