Orange Peel Powder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to oven dry the peel long and slow, 100 degrees C for a couple of hours, then I grind them to a fine powder in a spice grinder, cost about £10. I keep the powder in a sealed jar. Leave for a while and then have a sniff .... gorgeous!!

Hello, I know I am coming late to the party, but I have a question regarding dried orange peel. I grate and dry only the orange part of the peel and it unfortunately smells nothing like the fresh stuff. Do you use the white part as well and does your dried peel smell similar to the fresh one? Thanks.

I used orange peel powder in a citrus soap cupcake recipe last year and found there to be no difference in the feel of the soap (no exfoliation). However, I and my customers loved the speckled look it gave to the finished soap.
I make cupcake soaps as well and thanks for giving me the idea of putting the orange peel powder in the cake part of the soaps, just a cute little surprise!

Hello, I know I am coming late to the party, but I have a question regarding dried orange peel. I grate and dry only the orange part of the peel and it unfortunately smells nothing like the fresh stuff. Do you use the white part as well and does your dried peel smell similar to the fresh one? Thanks.
I just use the finely cut orange peel, no white pithe. Maybe try a different type of orange?

activated charcoal, pumice and orange peel in one half
I pumice real scratchy? I made an exfoliating soap once with poppy seeds for my daughter and she loved it, but mentioned that is was pretty rough. LOL! We have sensitive skin in the sense that a stiff bristle back brush is like razor blades down the back, but in reality its just a normal cleaning scrub. I used to suffer from dermographia, a light scratch would turn into a big red welt like hives. It went away when I started using my soap and stopped using commercial toothpaste. Weird because its not usually caused by external substance, so who knows! But I still want to find a nice exfoliating ingredient to add to a soap. I hear ground loofah has been used too.

Anyways, can't wait too see this soap cut!
Edited: because I didn't look at the year! Sorry!

Given your description of your condition, I would tend to use ground oatmeal, ground orange peel or similar for exfoliation rather than pumice. I find that pumice, while not quite scratchy enough for my taste, is to 'sharp' for someone with your condition.

Latest posts

Back