Orange juice/peel soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szaza

Reaction score
Today I made one of my first and most tweaked recipes again. It's scented with (blood)orange and bitter almond EO's and colored with orange juice and peel. Normally I would add both to the whole batch, but because of a recent thread about orange juice for soap color, I got curious how much of the color was coming from the juice and how much from the peel. There was also a comment about blood orange and since it's the season I thought why not? I originally planned to do 2 batches: one with orange juice as base color and orange peel as a swirl and another batch where I did the same for the blood orange. However looking at the bright pink blood orange juice I realized it was going to become a dirty brown when mixed with lye, so I changed my plans. I replaced all my water with orange juice, blended until emulsion, split into 3 batches, added orange peel to one batch, blood orange to another and left the third plain. I SB'd until trace and put them in the oven to HP, added yoghurt, EO's, SF and some more orange juice and swirled in a loaf mold. After cutting I think orange juice barely contributed to color and there's no noticable difference between orange and blood orange peel.
Thanks for reading, I somehow always write up dreadfully long posts, here are some pics as a reward for hanging in there with me:hippo:

Soap at trace
IMG_20190131_210947.jpg

Gelled soap
IMG_20190131_222231.jpg

After adding additives
IMG_20190131_223029.jpg

Soap in the mold
IMG_20190131_223454.jpg IMG_20190131_234035.jpg

And finally the end result!
IMG_20190201_001248.jpg IMG_20190201_001502.jpg

Oh but those look great!

So let me see if I got this right... The lighter part is the plain base made with orange juice as liquid in the lye solution, and the darker has the peels?

Sounds cool.. I too was reading that thread and got me curious to see what happens if I added the colored juices at the end of HP cook hehe

So let me see if I got this right... The lighter part is the plain base made with orange juice as liquid in the lye solution, and the darker has the peels?
Exactly!

Since juices before cook don't do much I think they won't add much color after cook either.. Maybe you could try adding the peels after cook? It will be more speckled though because you don't stick blend the peels in the soap base. Which gets me thinking.. what would happen if you stick blend soap after cook?

Exactly!

Since juices before cook don't do much I think they won't add much color after cook either.. Maybe you could try adding the peels after cook? It will be more speckled though because you don't stick blend the peels in the soap base. Which gets me thinking.. what would happen if you stick blend soap after cook?
It gets thick very fast, especially if your batter isn't very fluid to begin with.

Sounds like a good experiment ;)

Latest posts

Back