Orange Juice and Orange EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Reaction score
My thang is orange soap. That’s all I make. I’m a one trick pony. I’m in an orange rut (not gutter @Hendejm) and don’t want out. Luv the scent. The EO gives it a boring pale ylw color so I deepen it a bit with a lil carrot juice. It took me a while to get the shade just right so it doesn’t look like a brick of cheddar. I like the color that I achieved but am wondering what color OJ and EO would make. Have u ever made, or have a pic to share of soap colored ONLY with OJ and orange EO?

Thx in advance.

Last edited:
Okay, not speaking from experience, but it may turn brown? My milks turn a bit orange most time. Fortunately they don't cure out that shade. I say give it a try in a small batch. You just never know what that lye will do to something.

When I've made soap with orange EO in the past, it was naturally orange from the EO. I don't have any pics, sorry.

BTW, instead of carrot juice, get some beta carotene capsules. You have to cut them open (the soap won't dissolve the glycerin capsule), but this gives you the option of adding it a bit at a time until you get the shade you want. IIRC, it ends up a touch darker in the end, so maybe try to hit something a shade or two lighter than you want your final product to be.

When I've made soap with orange EO in the past, it was naturally orange from the EO. I don't have any pics, sorry.

BTW, instead of carrot juice, get some beta carotene capsules. You have to cut them open (the soap won't dissolve the glycerin capsule), but this gives you the option of adding it a bit at a time until you get the shade you want. IIRC, it ends up a touch darker in the end, so maybe try to hit something a shade or two lighter than you want your final product to be.

Thx. I tried the capsules and might try again but I found it really hard to control the amt for sm batches.

I have not used orange juice but my very first soap was made with some cranberry juice and it did not affect the color at all (the soap ended up creamy color even though the cranberry-lye solution was maroon). So not sure OJ would give too much color either.
On the other hand, I love the orange color that a bit of infused annatto seed gives. It's just a really nice, warm orange.

I used real lemon juice in a soap and it was a lovely creamy shade. Give it a go Dean and report back - remember to calculate out the citric acid and compensate with extra lye. Duh - says me like I'm the expert.
Pics of my orange and patchouli soap ( just orange and patchouli EO in the base, and the top coloured with bronze mica):
IMG_2604.jpeg

Hey Dean! I've made an orange/almond soap with freshly squeezed orange juice, orange peel and bitter almond and orange EO's. Unfortunately I ran out and I just realized I never took a picture so you'll have to believe me on my word:p it turned a nice light yellow-orange when I used 1 Orange for 300g of oils and a slightly darker/speckled but also a little muddled orange when I used the peel of 2 oranges per 300g of oil. I used the orange juice to replace all the water in the recipe. Froze it to slush kept it in an ice bath and added the lye ever so slowly to avoid burning (I think masterbatching might be more efficient though). I also HP'd at low temps (70celcius).
All that just to say you can use orange juice, just be sure to keep the temps low. And if you're using fresh juice, might as well use the peel (I think that's what gave me most of the color). I might make it again soon.. if so I'll post a pic;)
(Edited for spelling error)

Last edited:
Ah thought I should still have a Tiny piece somewhere! :D trying to keep at least one of every batch but but sometimes it's hard not to use them;) this is the one with the peel of 2 oranges per 300g of oil. IMG_20190123_205835.jpg

HP, though I only added the EO's (and some yoghurt) after cook. Peel and juice were in there before..

Think slushy OJ will be in my nxt batch! Thx for the replies all. Will post a pic.

I used real lemon juice in a soap and it was a lovely creamy shade. Give it a go Dean and report back - remember to calculate out the citric acid and compensate with extra lye. Duh - says me like I'm the expert.
Pics of my orange and patchouli soap ( just orange and patchouli EO in the base, and the top coloured with bronze mica):
View attachment 35392
we really need a love button--you do such amazing work

My thang is orange soap. That’s all I make. I’m a one trick pony. I’m in an orange rut (not gutter @Hendejm) and don’t want out. Luv the scent. The EO gives it a boring pale ylw color so I deepen it a bit with a lil carrot juice. It took me a while to get the shade just right so it doesn’t look like a brick of cheddar. I like the color that I achieved but am wondering what color OJ and EO would make. Have u ever made, or have a pic to share of soap colored ONLY with OJ and orange EO?

Thx in advance.
Bet it is pretty. I am from upstate New York (real upstate, Syracuse are not what those from NYC refer to as upstate) and our cheddar cheese is white. I never saw yellow cheddar until we moved to Missouri. I am getting ready to make my first soap that uses Buckthorn oil-can’t wait to see it! The yellows and oranges are so lovely. You should post some photos!

Bet it is pretty. I am from upstate New York (real upstate, Syracuse are not what those from NYC refer to as upstate) and our cheddar cheese is white. I never saw yellow cheddar until we moved to Missouri. I am getting ready to make my first soap that uses Buckthorn oil-can’t wait to see it! The yellows and oranges are so lovely. You should post some photos!

I need to get off SMF! Every time that I think I’ve perfected my recipie u guys inspire me to try something new. Never heard of (sea?) buckhorn oil. Now I have to try OJ and buckhorn. How much buckhorn is used in soap to col0r it?

Please post pics too Melinda. If u remember, please tag me so that I will view them.

Latest posts

Back