Orange EO usage rate?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some orange 5x EO that I want to use in a batch of castile.
Does usage amount really matter in a soap that is going to cure for a year?

I don't actually know the usage rate, just planned on using 1oz ppo for a nice strong scent while its curing. I expect it to fade within 2-3 weeks.

In Essential Oil Safety, Tisserand & Roberts state that sweet orange EO (not folded) has GRAS status. The text also states that sweet orange EO is produced in greater quantity than any other EO and most is used in food and beverages. I have a table in my files that I saved from Jan Berry’s website which indicates she uses 5x at 22g ppo.

Thanks for the info, I'll make a note of it. I ended up leaving this batch unscented. I want to try and sell this so I figured its better not to have anything extra added.

Not sure if it's of any help, but I feel orange EO slows trace and I sometimes use it if I want to do fancy designs. I also add other oils with more sticking power to not have scent-less soap after cure (just a tip in case you're looking for a way to use your orange EO).

Latest posts

Back