Orange edges on top of doap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas77

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum and have been soap making for about 6 months. I made some soap yesterday using tobacco and bay leaf FO. I used coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil, shea butter and sweet almond oil. I cut it today and noticed an orange color on the edges and top of the soap. This has never happened to any of my previous soaps. Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this? Any insight would be grateful.
Thanks,
Jasmine

Attachments

• 723CEB54-507A-4D4C-ADF2-9291FC500F00.jpeg
    723CEB54-507A-4D4C-ADF2-9291FC500F00.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 28
I bought it from Aztec candle and soap making supplies. Yes all the bars have the orange colour. Is there a certain ingredient that would cause orange discolouration?
Thanks for replying to my question 🙂

Some of my FOs will discolour in that way. Initially it's just on the top (and it stays worse on the top) but as the soap cures is will darken up more too. Even after a couple of days you will probably notice a change. It doesn't look like any of your ingredients, other than the FO, would cause this.

I don't know exactly which compounds cause which discoloration. However, I usually only buy FOs from companies that also list how the fragrance behaves as far as acceleration, discoloring, or ricing, and provide a color sample of soap with the FO at a few weeks time. I also read reviews to see if anyone has experienced different or more extreme behavior than the manufacturer did.

Back