Orange color ideas needed.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grate up a couple of carrots and dehydrate them. Then I grind them up in a coffee grinder until they are a powder. I either add it at trace or use it to infuse the olive oil. It makes a lovely deep orange. If you added titanium dioxide as well you would get a creamsicle like color.

cdwinsby said:
I grate up a couple of carrots and dehydrate them. Then I grind them up in a coffee grinder until they are a powder. I either add it at trace or use it to infuse the olive oil. It makes a lovely deep orange. If you added titanium dioxide as well you would get a creamsicle like color.

Carrots!?! What a great idea. As for dehydrating them, all I have is an oven to work with. Any ideas on how long and at what temps to use?. I do have a coffee been grinder. Thank you all for your input.
-Rick
"The mind is like a parachute. It is best used when open."

I grate the carrots on the finest side of the cheese grater and dry on as low a temperature as possible. I dehydrate until the carrots are brittle. The key is to dry but not cook the carrots. The temp I use on my dehydrater is 135 degrees Celcius. If your oven has a fan setting...all the better. Another idea would be to set them out in the sun on paper towel...the warm air should do the job.

I think some people just put the carrots in without dehydrating ....a puree as mentioned above but I've never done it so can't give advice on that method. Perhaps someone who has done so will give some input.

Not so much a soaper (yet) as a foodie. Here's a suggestion on that carrot cunundrum(?)................

In the oven, put your sacrificial carrot (grated, of course) on a cookie sheet that's covered with foil, and turn the oven to the "warm" setting (the lowest temp on the dial).

Don't know how long it will actually take depending on how fine the carrot is grated, but check every 45 min or so till the little suckers are dry as dust, then you're DONE!!! :D Or find a friend with a dehydrator!!! :p

If you screw up and get what amounts to nuclear waste, just put it down to "all in the name of science" and give it a decent burial......... :p

(please forgive the silliness, sometimes I just CAN'T help myself!) :p

beadella said:
Not so much a soaper (yet) as a foodie. Here's a suggestion on that carrot cunundrum(?)................

In the oven, put your sacrificial carrot (grated, of course) on a cookie sheet that's covered with foil, and turn the oven to the "warm" setting (the lowest temp on the dial).

Don't know how long it will actually take depending on how fine the carrot is grated, but check every 45 min or so till the little suckers are dry as dust, then you're DONE!!! :D Or find a friend with a dehydrator!!! :p

If you screw up and get what amounts to nuclear waste, just put it down to "all in the name of science" and give it a decent burial......... :p

(please forgive the silliness, sometimes I just CAN'T help myself!) :p

Well said!! :lol:

I suggest you use an accurate oven thermometer to control your drying speed. My cooking experience tells me you don't want to go over 150-170 degrees F.

Also if you want to try the air drying method, get smoe cheesecloth, spread it out on your butcher block and smear the grated carrot evenly accross it, then tie the 4 corners so it is suspended flat in the air (itll bow in the middle a bit) and make sure its got good air movement...good to put it by a sunlit window too!! :)

just another lil idea that just popped into my head :)...

Thank you all for your wonderful tips and ideas. I'm a chemistry major studying to be a pharmacist at Lincoln Memorial University in Harrogate, TN. I picked up soap making after my organic professor showed us saponification in lab. I can't tell you how hard it is to study microbiology with so many recipes/ideas floating around in my head. This hobby is truly addicting. I have soaping ideas I want to try on my brain constantly.
-Rick

Back