Orange blossom and vanilla specks

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I finally got around to soaping with the vanilla specks I had. Scented with orange blossom FO and a little summer fling FO.

Unless the FO discolors, this should be a nice white soap. I'm loving the look of the specks.

Looks a little rough as it went from melted oil thin to oh God, get it in the mold right now! in about 3 seconds.

Attachments

• 20200410_125503.jpg
    20200410_125503.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200410_125715.jpg
    20200410_125715.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 34
Oh boy, the orange blossom is naughty naught. The soap started getting hot fast so I popped it in the fridge. Checked after a few minutes and it was in full gel, in the fridge.

If it doesn't settle down in a few, it'll have to go in the freezer for a bit. I'm hoping it won't crack open.

How about sitting it on a rack with a fan on it. I find sometimes it works better than the fridge or freezer when you need to cool it down quickly. My Coconut FO does that, so I chill the mold, lye, and soap with cool oils.

I love the way your soap looks.

Last edited:
It cooled down enough in the fridge but I really should set up a rack with a fan for future use.
Its still fairly hot so I pulled it out of the wooden mold to finish cooling. I should be able to cut it in a hour or two at this rate.

It is gorgeous Obsidian! Which orange blossom were you using? I haven’t had problems with mine.

Thanks. It's from essentials from catalina, not sure I like it or not. Which do you use?

I was able to cut, its still a bit warm but I needed to get it out of the way.
Always surprises me how translucent gelled soaps look, I'm used to this recipe being bright white.

Attachments

• 20200410_160236.jpg
    20200410_160236.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200410_160223.jpg
    20200410_160223.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 23
So pretty! I discovered not too long ago that I have some vanilla beans in my spice cabinet. They’re probably a few years old. Do you know if they go bad?

I've had pretty old ones that were still good. I say that as long as they still smell good, they are ok to use.

Thanks. It's from essentials from catalina, not sure I like it or not. Which do you use?

I was able to cut, its still a bit warm but I needed to get it out of the way.
Always surprises me how translucent gelled soaps look, I'm used to this recipe being bright white.
Thanks, I’ll stay away from that one. I use Sweet Cakes orange blossom. It’s so pretty, even gelled.

I finally got around to soaping with the vanilla specks I had. Scented with orange blossom FO and a little summer fling FO.

Unless the FO discolors, this should be a nice white soap. I'm loving the look of the specks.

Looks a little rough as it went from melted oil thin to oh God, get it in the mold right now! in about 3 seconds.

That looks so pretty!

Ah the near soap on a stick days, how I miss them!🤣
Pretty soap you've got there👍🏻

Latest posts

Back