Optiphen inactivated by ewax?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaylyn Valdez

Reaction score
I heard somewhere that Optiphen is inactivated by polysorbate. I am using an ewax that contains polysorbate 60. Is this true and do I need to change preservatives or will this work okay for my body butters?

I heard somewhere that Optiphen is inactivated by polysorbate. I am using an ewax that contains polysorbate 60. Is this true and do I need to change preservatives or will this work okay for my body butters?
Also I just read now that Optiphen isn’t to be used in products containing water? What preservative should I use for my emulsified body butters??

Have you tried using Liquid Germall Plus? I see that Susan Swift has used it in several of her emulsified body butter recipes.
I have never tried it but I just bought some. Can I only use this for my body butters that contain water? I read that liquid germall plus is only for products containing water. If so, can I use the Optiphen for my emulsified sugar scrubs that contain no water? Thank you for your help.

I have never tried it but I just bought some. Can I only use this for my body butters that contain water? I read that liquid germall plus is only for products containing water. If so, can I use the Optiphen for my emulsified sugar scrubs that contain no water? Thank you for your help.
It is used with products that contain water; but it appears that it can be used in emulsified sugar scrubs.

https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.c...-for-Formulating-Emulsified-Sugar-Scrubs.aspx

Most preservatives are needed in products that contain water, that is precisely why they are used (if the product contains water or will be in contact with water. I am curious where you read that.
I am also curious where you may have read about the polysorbate, as in this website (below) they actually recommend using polysorbate 60 with it, as optiphen may make the emulsion unstable.
If you scroll down you will find information about most preservatives in this page:
https://makingskincare.com/preservatives/

Can Optiphen expire or go bad? I've had it for years...just haven't made lotion for many years.

I'm in the middle of making lotion tonight and am wondering if it's ok to use.

Back