Opposite of super-fatting for grease cutting soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rose, I think you need to take a deep breath and retry to focus on your own quest. I saw that Gent had tried to answer your question, please pay attention. I think he has some very valid points. Efficient packaging and labeling is definitely going to be an issue if you want to make it for multiple uses. May be you could mix something up for single use without running into problems, as you seem to know the ingredients in all those type of cleaners. Wish I knew what went in to those kinda things, but may be later. Good luck to you in your search.

I think you need not tell me where to direct my focus in MY thread nor imply that I somehow missed what TEG stated. What makes you think I wasn't "paying attention" to his response? IDK why you are bringing up packaging or labeling - as stated earlier this isn't for other people so packaging and labeling can be whatever I deem adequate for my personal use.

I was doing some research on a laundry soap and came across THIS thread which discussed using kerosene or turpentine as a grease cutting agent. It could possibly be an effective way of achieving the end you're looking for.

Ninja edit to fix words.

I think you need not tell me where to direct my focus in MY thread nor imply that I somehow missed what TEG stated. What makes you think I wasn't "paying attention" to his response? IDK why you are bringing up packaging or labeling - as stated earlier this isn't for other people so packaging and labeling can be whatever I deem adequate for my personal use.

After she mentioned the packaging and labeling, she made it clear that she was referring to the efficacy of your product if it isn't stored correctly and that making it as you need it might be an option - it was nothing to do with giving it away, although I think clear warnings would of course be needed, like on master batched lye.

I think your reactions are major overreactions. Calm it down or mod action might be needed.

I must be a real rebel. I make facial bars with 0% SF.
I make small batches so try and go low as I can to 0%. No harshness, no dryness... etc. It's just a lovely, hard bar of soap. It's CO free, so it can't obviously be really cleaning but still. It's not burning my face off. And I have quute sensitive skin FWIW. :)
I'm currently testing body bars and dropping SF. Will probably go down to 0-1%. There's so much difference in bubbles, hardness and longevity of soap than with those highly SFed ones. I just can't do high SF, it's like having a shower with block of butter.
Like Deanna said, lye is usually not 100%, so there's always that little bit of extra window there.

fuzz-juzz, do you use coconut oil in your mix? Curious why you don't get as much lather. When you say High SF, what percentage? I've settled on 5% for now and haven't noticed any lathering issues. :smile:

I have superfatted up to -15% with no zap after cure. My stain sticks I superfat -5% with coconut oil, lard 70:30 and 1% turpentine added at trace. They make great stain sticks but have to be tested in an inside seam for color fade, and this is why I do not sell them

Last edited:
I have superfatted up to -15% with no zap after cure. My stain sticks I superfat -5% with coconut oil, lard 70:30 and 1% turpentine added at trace. They make great stain sticks but have to be tested in an inside seam for color fade, and this is why I do not sell them

cmzaha,
How did you decide on a negative SF? Was the recipe on it's own just not cutting it... the grease that is (insert drum rimshot here.) ;-) I'm here every weekend folks.
But seriously, I'm curious

I must be a real rebel. I make facial bars with 0% SF.
I make small batches so try and go low as I can to 0%. No harshness, no dryness... etc. It's just a lovely, hard bar of soap. It's CO free, so it can't obviously be really cleaning but still. It's not burning my face off. And I have quute sensitive skin FWIW. :)
I'm currently testing body bars and dropping SF. Will probably go down to 0-1%. There's so much difference in bubbles, hardness and longevity of soap than with those highly SFed ones. I just can't do high SF, it's like having a shower with block of butter.
Like Deanna said, lye is usually not 100%, so there's always that little bit of extra window there.
I am with you, I superfat low also, if I want to shower with oil and butter I will take that in the shower. I want to shower with Soap :p

As others as mentioned, my goal when making my own products is to find effective cleansers without excess chemicals. I have never found a need to make a lye heavy product in order to achieve excellent grease cutting and cleansing, because my non-lye heavy products do an great job.

That said, I make liquid soap at 3% superfat for doing dishes and it cleans like crazy (I find that liquid soap tends to remove grease better than bar soap). For laundry, I make liquid soap with a 0% superfat. Again, works awesome. My husband, who frequently has nasty, greasy hands, always reaches for my dish soap (3% sf) because it does such a great job.

What are you trying to clean that regular soap isn't working for?

cmzaha,
How did you decide on a negative SF? Was the recipe on it's own just not cutting it... the grease that is (insert drum rimshot here.) ;-) I'm here every weekend folks.
But seriously, I'm curious
Just testing to see how low I can go. I love to see how far the envelope can be pushed. Since I am not a chemist I have to test and find out for myself how something works, and for me that is fun. Even if I was a chemist I am sure I would still have to test :p

fuzz-juzz, do you use coconut oil in your mix? Curious why you don't get as much lather. When you say High SF, what percentage? I've settled on 5% for now and haven't noticed any lathering issues. :smile:

Not in facial bar. For body yes. I have few dry, red patches on my cheeks that are sensitive and get dry and sore if strong cleansers are used.
In facial bar there is only tallow, and bit of OO, castor and almond.
Lather is a bit slimy, despite castor, but it's there. Soap is hard as a rock, probably because of tallow.
It is still cleaning, without that squeaky clean feel of CO. I tried 100% CO on my body few months ago and oh my, that was a real cleansing experience. I keep it now as a laundry bar now. :lol:
As for lathering issues, I went down from 5%SF with coconut milk as a liquid, so even higher SF than 5, to maybe 2% and difference in lather is HUGE.
If you don't try yourself, with your recipe, you probably wouldn't know the difference.
I use about 25% CO in my body bars, but SF was still killing that lather a bit.

Last edited:
Back