Opinions on these HP soaps...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyAddy

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm Addy and I am a newbie - I've made four batches and am really enjoying the learning process! I've been making HP soap and I like using natural and organic ingredients when possible. I am planning a foray into CP soon!

I'm wondering if you experienced soap makers would take a look at this pic of two of my HP soap batches and let me know what you think these white spots are? I've zap tested the spots and they don't zap or burn when using them, so I don't think they are lye pockets. Is this ricing? Is HP soap supposed to look like this? I would love to make nice smooth bars! Thanks so much for your help!

Here's the recipes I used for both:

TOP:
Coconut Oil: 9.58oz
Olive Oil: 9.58 oz
Crisco: 14.85 oz
Lye: 4.607 oz
Water: 11.22 oz
EO blend (Patchouli, Sweet Orange, Lavendar, Cedarwood & Scotch Pine): 2 oz

BOTTOM:
Sweet Almond Oil: 5.38oz
Avocado Oil: 8.06 oz
Coconut Oil: 13.44 oz
Palm Oil: 10.75 oz
Shea: 5.38 oz
Lye: 5.981 oz
Water: 14.19 oz
EO blend (Lemongrass & Peppermint): 2 oz (this was a bit much I think)

soap.jpg

Thanks so much!

To be honest, I haven't been monitoring temperatures - something I am planning to do moving forward.

I did notice that once my soaps got to the gel phase and I stirred these things started to appear. That makes total sense. How can I avoid that in the future? Stir earlier before the crust starts to form? A lot of the tutorials I've watched show the soap being untouched until the gel phase, so I was scared to stir it! :)

The top recipe came from Sandy Maine's 3 ingredient soap recipe. The EO blend was my own.

The bottom was from Andrea at Frugally Sustainable. It's her vegan soap recipe.

I want to make beautiful soaps one day - these are not it! lol Thanks for any tips!

I think everyone's first HP has those spots, I know mine did! When you stir, if the soap on the sides dries out and turns white, don't scrape it back into the rest of the soap. You can try turning your crockpot down, that might help too.

^^ ya what Obsidian says. Next time leave those dried out white soap bits behind.
Then I roll them into little soap balls :D

I had spots in my HP soaps too! the owner of gracefruit.com, who does a lot of hot process soap recommends a maximum temperature of 140F (60F) and also not cooking the soap for too long, as this makes it thicker and more likely to stick to the sides. When it's finished zapping, it's cooked. Most recipes don't take me longer than 45 minutes.

I find I get much prettier soaps with CP. If you haven't already I would consider putting any recipe you use through a soap calculator to check the recipe is ok. I generally use soapcalc.net. There's some information in a sticky (beginners forum I think) on how to use it. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!!

Now I think you should stir more often - and keep those crusty bits from forming in the first place. I agree about not cooking so long, some people seem to think you need to cook it for hours, you don't - just until it doesn't zap. Admittedly some recipes take a bit longer than others.

Thanks SO much everyone! Going to try another batch this week watching the temperatures and being sure not to stir in the crusty stuff! :) Appreciate your help and thoughts!

Back