Opinions Needed Please..........

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDak

Reaction score
Ok, I do the double boiler HP method (not really pertinent to this question but just to let you know).

I am making an "expensive oil" soap using up babassu and laurel fruit oil for about 48 bars of soap (each batch is 48 ounces of oil).

Recipe:

Babassu - 10oz

Laurel Fruit Oil - 8oz

Shortening (Crisco type) - 14oz

Castor - 4oz

Virgin Olive Oil - 12oz

5 percent discount and am thinking of using milk for half of the water.

Stupid recipe?

I would not use shortening, use lard instead. Cleansing number is 19 I would find it very drying. It seems to be on the soft side soap.
INS - A measure of the physical qualities of the soap based on the SAP and iodine value. This value was introduced by Dr. Robert S. McDaniel in his wonderful book "Essentially Soap". The exact origin of the value is unclear but INS is derived from Iodine value and the SAP value; hence INS - "Iodine ’n SAP" If the value is not in "Essentially Soap", it is estimated by subtracting the Iodine Value from the KOH SAP. It is used to predict the physical characteristics of the soap bar - the ideal being 160. Experience has proven a range of about 136 - 170 will gennerally be acceptable. yours is 126. Have you use Soapcalc?

Thanks everyone........lard it is.

Yes, I used soap calc and the INS is 136 when I did it.

Thanks everyone........lard it is.

Yes, I used soap calc and the INS is 136 when I did it.
So did I, with original post was crisco. Lard is much better for the conditioning and it is better soap in general. I would use CO instead of expensive babbasu which I use for my body lotions and deo's . :))

So did I, with original post was crisco. Lard is much better for the conditioning and it is better soap in general. I would use CO instead of expensive babbasu which I use for my body lotions and deo's . :))
Thanks for the info.

It is expensive...........but what the heck!! :-D

Is it for someone who can't use coconut oil? Would be interesting to see if there is a demonstrable difference between the two, apart from any allergy issues
No, it's just something I am making on a whim.

I doubt there will be much difference..........I'll try and remember to post the results in a few weeks after it is cured but I doubt the babassu will make too much a difference.

Just something I want to do.

ETA: Same for the laurel fruit oil. Just using it on a whim.

Just a side note - babassu and and PKO feel much less drying to me in soap than coconut. It could all be in my mind, though :)

Update: Made the soap..........turned out good. (Needs to cure a bit more but I tried a bar and it is nice stuff IMHO.)

A good amount of lather and the laurel berry oil gave it an evergreen type of scent. I didn't add any fragrance oils.

I didn't notice much difference between babassu oil and coconut oil.

Overall the laurel berry is good stuff and I like it. Too bad it is so expensive.

Next question if all of you don't mind.

I'm thinking of getting some rosin powder and adding 1TBL per pound of oil to increase lather. Just an experiment, the soap I make lathers pretty good now but I just want to try it but have no idea if 1TBL of powdered rosin is ok, etc.

Is this stupid?

Thanks for any opinions.

Latest posts

Back