Opinions Needed for Facial Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleCrazyWolf

Reaction score
Would this recipe make a good facial bar?

Avocado - 20%
Castor - 10%
Lard - 20%
Rice Bran - 20%
Tallow - 30%

Soapcalc numbers:
Hardness - 35
Cleansing - 3
Conditioning - 60
Bubbly - 12
Creamy - 42
Iodine - 73
INS - 115

Any amount of coconut oil dries out my face horribly. I read somewhere that avocado and rice bran were good for sensitive/dry skin so I thought they might be nice in a facial bar...?

Any advice would be appreciated!

I switched out the rice bran oil for olive oil and it brought the conditioning up to 63. It also brought down the iodine to under 70 which makes me happy so I think I may give it a try.

Thanks!

New Soapcalc numbers:
Hardness - 34
Cleansing - 3
Conditioning - 63
Bubbly - 12
Creamy - 40
Iodine - 68
INS - 122

I will say tallow pulls the conditioning numbers down, yet it isn't harsh and doesn't pull the cleansing numbers up much. Lard may do the same thing, but I haven't soaped it and can't say for certain. My higher tallow (50%) soaps are lower on conditioning "as a direct result from higher tallow" and not because of cleansing oils. It isn't as harsh as the lower number leads you to believe.
Try the first and see how you like it! You really don't need to switch it to bring up the conditioning in my opinion, and I don't like olive over 10-16% in a recipe, but that's just me. Rice Bran has better bubbles than olive on soap calc, if I recall correctly. I'd recommend trying the first and tweaking from there.

Oh nice! I don't put all my faith in the numbers but I do find I like my conditioning around 62-65 and 70 and under in iodine always makes me happy too!

I will say tallow pulls the conditioning numbers down, yet it isn't harsh and doesn't pull the cleansing numbers up much. Lard may do the same thing, but I haven't soaped it and can't say for certain. My higher tallow (50%) soaps are lower on conditioning "as a direct result from higher tallow" and not because of cleansing oils. It isn't as harsh as the lower number leads you to believe.
Try the first and see how you like it! You really don't need to switch it to bring up the conditioning in my opinion, and I don't like olive over 10-16% in a recipe, but that's just me. Rice Bran has better bubbles than olive on soap calc, if I recall correctly. I'd recommend trying the first and tweaking from there.
Tallow contains Lauric Acid which ups the cleansing more than lard

Would this recipe make a good facial bar?

Avocado - 20%
Castor - 10%
Lard - 20%
Rice Bran - 20%
Tallow - 30%

Any amount of coconut oil dries out my face horribly. I read somewhere that avocado and rice bran were good for sensitive/dry skin so I thought they might be nice in a facial bar...?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Avocado is less conditioning by the numbers than say, grapeseed/soybean/wheat germ oil, but also has higher creaminess, so maybe worth testing those other oils as well.

I use a lot of apricot kernel oil as a 1-10% luxury oil. It's about $8/lb for me, cheaper than almond oil and just as light.

Thanks to all! I think after reading your replies that I will try the 1st version and tweak if necessary. I just have to order some more avocado oil first.

I will let you know how it turns out!

Avocado butter 10%
Castor 10%
Coconut 20%
Meadowfoam 20%
Olive oil 25%
Palm 15%

Hardness 30
Cleansing 16
Conditioning 62
Bubbly 22
Creamy 26