Opinion on bar sizing - need photos

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Increase the water discount, less water = less evaporation. This might be enough to keep you over 4 oz.

You do know that there is no such thing as a 'water discount', just a higher lye concentration. But that's a good idea. During the Fall/Winter I increase mine from 33% to 35% because I'm in the PNW and we get a lot of rain and it slows down my cure.

Which is not a big deal if you're only cutting up a log once a day, but what happens when you're cutting up 10, 20, 30 or more logs?
True! Based on my Halloween soap sales I will need to make 30-40 pounds next August. My daughter will murder me with the scraper if she has to do it all by hand

I bought a nurture cutter and I love it. On top of that using the actual multi-bar cutter gave me more bars because I was able to be consistent whereas when I was using my single cutter my bars were just not the same no matter how hard I tried. My loaf when I cut it myself was only giving me 8 bars but when I used the multi-bar cutter I was getting 10 bars. And that can mean a lot when you're cutting a lot of loaves of soap. I list my bars as at least 4.5 oz and at 6 week cure I haven't had any moisture loss that makes it under that and since I generally add high tops or heap up soap on top for texture I find the height more than makes up for just having a 1" bar. I do have a flat top no piping bar that I cut with it that is around 11 months old and it weighs 4.45 oz. It will also will depend on the height of your mold. I also water discount so that might make up for any loss that might occur.

Back