Oozy soap with too much water fail. Can it be saved?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahauer88

Reaction score
Hi folks, last night I made a lavender drop swirl loaf. Everything was going sooooo well until I went to pour my accent colors for the drop swirl, to my horror they had set up and gotten thick within 30 seconds of pouring the base layer. They looked barely emulsified when I blended them! :( and here i was stuck with this unpourable mess. I tried whisking and stirring them which helped a bit but didn't make it pourable. I then panicked and added a bit of water to each cup, and I think this is where I screwed up. I wasn't thinking and added 0.8 oz or so to each 5.5oz cup of color. AAH! I figured oh, the recipe said I could use up to 15oz of water and I only used 10oz in the batch, I'm good right? not thinking in my panic that I am adding the maximum water amount left over to only half the recipe. Sure this worked, but now when I took it out of the oven after CPOP the top is set but it feels kind of oozy in the middle. Is this a definite rebatch situation or can I save it? the loaf seems warm still coming out of the oven.

My next question is, what if I put this oozy mess in the freezer then popped it out onto an old parchment lined pan? Is this asking for trouble? I figured well, maybe I could take it out and cut it into bars so they dry faster and if it collapses into an oozy mess, oh well, it's contained in the pan and I can salvage at least the bottom half of the recipe for a rebatch mosaic soap. What do you think?

Hi folks, last night I made a lavender drop swirl loaf. Everything was going sooooo well until I went to pour my accent colors for the drop swirl, to my horror they had set up and gotten thick within 30 seconds of pouring the base layer. They looked barely emulsified when I blended them! :( and here i was stuck with this unpourable mess. I tried whisking and stirring them which helped a bit but didn't make it pourable. I then panicked and added a bit of water to each cup, and I think this is where I screwed up. I wasn't thinking and added 0.8 oz or so to each 5.5oz cup of color. AAH! I figured oh, the recipe said I could use up to 15oz of water and I only used 10oz in the batch, I'm good right? not thinking in my panic that I am adding the maximum water amount left over to only half the recipe. Sure this worked, but now when I took it out of the oven after CPOP the top is set but it feels kind of oozy in the middle. Is this a definite rebatch situation or can I save it? the loaf seems warm still coming out of the oven.

My next question is, what if I put this oozy mess in the freezer then popped it out onto an old parchment lined pan? Is this asking for trouble? I figured well, maybe I could take it out and cut it into bars so they dry faster and if it collapses into an oozy mess, oh well, it's contained in the pan and I can salvage at least the bottom half of the recipe for a rebatch mosaic soap. What do you think?

Oh and it was a 40oz recipe :s I added 10 oz water total. Split that roughly in half in the mold. So about ~22oz of that batter ended up getting close to 3 or 3.5oz extra water.

This was just last night, so I would hold off on the despair just yet.
If you've heard of "Ghost Swirl" soaps or "high water/low water" soaps, different water amounts in different soap batters are a design aesthetic. The soap will still be soap.
The purple parts will shrink more over time than the parts with less water, so whether you are ok with this effect or not is up to you.
In any case, I would leave the soap alone for a day or two so it can finish saponifying and be safe to handle. Then if you want you could pop it in the freezer if necessary to unmold it. Then cut it open and decide what you want to do with it.

Back