Oopsie Too much milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebelshope

Reaction score
I am proud to say I made my first batch of soap. I made it about a week and a half ago. The soap is still really really soft. I can dent it easily with my finger.

I am wondering if this is normal or if it is because when I made the soap I was supposed to have 3 lbs or about 6 c. and I used a whole half gallon. I was so nervous about adding the lye. . . oops

The whole recipe is as follows
3 lbs. veggie shorting
17 oz extra light olive oil
12 oz safflower oil
8 oz canola oil
3 lbs milk ( accidently used whole half gallon)
12 oz lye
1 oz borax
1/2 oz white sugar
1/2 oz glycerine

I got the recipe from the Milk Soap book.

I was thinking of rebatching some of it this weekend to add oatmeal and honey. Or some other EO.

Any suggestions or is this about right?

thx

Rebelshope said:
I am proud to say I made my first batch of soap. I made it about a week and a half ago. The soap is still really really soft. I can dent it easily with my finger.

I am wondering if this is normal or if it is because when I made the soap I was supposed to have 3 lbs or about 6 c. and I used a whole half gallon. I was so nervous about adding the lye. . . oops

The whole recipe is as follows
3 lbs. veggie shorting
17 oz extra light olive oil
12 oz safflower oil
8 oz canola oil
3 lbs milk ( accidently used whole half gallon)
12 oz lye
1 oz borax
1/2 oz white sugar
1/2 oz glycerine

I got the recipe from the Milk Soap book.

I was thinking of rebatching some of it this weekend to add oatmeal and honey. Or some other EO.

Any suggestions or is this about right?

thx

I would hold off on the rebatching for a bit....basically, you added too much milk like you said AND you have a lot of soft oils in that recipe. Olive oil eventually makes a hard bar, but it takes a long time to set up. Vegetable shortening tends to make a softer bar.

Give it a few weeks to dry out thoroughly....I think you might be fine. :)

Back