Oops?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Royal

Reaction score
I made my first batch of cold process soap.

1 oz. avocado oil
2 oz. coffee bean butter
6 oz. coconut oil
4 oz. sunflower oil
4 oz. water
1.91 oz. lye

I was handmixing, with a rubber spatula and it took a very long time. When (I thought) it was close to trace, I took a few ladels out and added some cocoa powder and chocolate fragrance oil. Then I added coffee fragrance oil to the base. I then poured the base into the mold, and then the chocolate scented/coloured soap into the base.

The swirling came out beautiful, but I'm afraid that I addded the soap to the mold too early :? :oops: Like...before it was actually at trace. The soap was a little bit runny as I added it into the mold :oops: :oops:

What's going to happen to it? Like, will it still harden? Or...what?

Based on the MMS calc you did a 7% SF which may explain the slowness to trace. But it should be O.K. If your mold can be put into the oven, I'd let my oven warm up (set it on its lowest setting), place the mold in the oven, turn the oven off and let the mold sit int there until the oven completely cools down or overnight. You can also wrap your mold up in blankets and/or towels to insulate it and let it sit for 24 hours. It might be a bit soft when you first unmold it, but let it sit where it can get alot of ventilation. Don't give up hope yet. Just give it some time. :wink:

I agree with CP.

Rebatch it, but you may need to try to whisk it more to get it to trace.

And it really is worth the investment to get a stick blender. You can pick up a cheap one at wal-mart for 10 buck or a better one with different attachments for 18 bucks. I have the one with different attachments and highly recommend it. But the other one is a better option to hand whisking.

Latest posts

Back