oops too much black oxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honor435

Reaction score
I made some black canyon(hp) soap with black oxide, added one cup of colored to the pot, it looks good, but wondering if I will get dark lather?

My first attempts at a black soap colored with activated charcoal left black drips all over the shower and turned my washcloths black!

Luckily, everything just washed right out. When I cut back on the charcoal, I didn't get the same intense black.

I used 1/4 c. to a 5#(oil) batch.

What size batch are you making?

honor435 said:
I made some black canyon(hp) soap with black oxide, added one cup of colored to the pot, it looks good, but wondering if I will get dark lather?

I'm not quiet sure I understand? One up of colored what? Was the percentage of oxide, based on your total recipe, or just your oils. Exactly how much did you use?

I find bamboo charcoal mixes easier, no spots. I get a nearly white lather and a dark dark soap with 1 Tbsp in a batch with 3600g oils. Doesn't stain the washcloths, walls, or light hair.

Funny, I've not had activated charcoal cause much color drippage - just how much did you use, Best?

Black oxide - oh yeat.

I used about a tablespoon in a cup of cooked soap mixture that I added to a 2 lb batch.

way too much! as you have discovered.

Try activated charcoal next time, maybe with a tiny pinch of the oxide if it's not deep enough black for you - but try first with just the charcoal and you won't get drippy black lather! I don't know why Ms Natural had problems unless she was way over the limit.

Back