Only took me 2yrs to say ...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylantern

Reaction score
... HELLO!

In 2016 I made a major life change and moved from one coast to the other for love. That worked out well. However, being a stranger in a strange land I found myself doing some soul searching and after receiving an image of a super fancy and highly overpriced bath bomb belonging to a friend I set out to make one myself. And down and down the rabbit hole I fell. Turns out you can't really make bath bombs in the oppressive humidity of the south, but they were my gateway drug to the bath and body world.

I am extremely grateful to all the people who have come before me. I've scoured forums and old websites, books, blogs, and crafting libraries. I mourn being too late to experience the community that was the Soap Dish Forum and because of that feeling of loss I am a proud member of the SMF because I believe in people supporting and encouraging each other.

My family is overwhelmed by my late night alchemy but also very supportive of it. It's what I look forward to at the end of every day. It's just me and my little notebook writing down all my notes and observations and being able to feel a sense of discovery and pride. And failures. So many failures. But it's a delightful journey that I'm so happy to be on with the likes of you.

You write so well. Are you published?
Welcome.gif

What a lovely introduction! If you soap as well as you write, you must have beautiful soaps -- or whatever it is you make. I too am grateful for this supportive community. Despite a wait of two years, you still beat me to the Introduction forum (shhh, don't tell anyone that I still haven't done one....:secret:)

What a lovely introduction! If you soap as well as you write, you must have beautiful soaps -- or whatever it is you make. I too am grateful for this supportive community. Despite a wait of two years, you still beat me to the Introduction forum (shhh, don't tell anyone that I still haven't done one....:secret:)
You know... I've never made soap. Admittedly I'm a little scared. I made the mistake of reading about soaps on a stick, volcanos, and the dangers of lye that I keep convincing myself to put that off for another day. And another day. And the day after next.

My soap procrastination is ALMOST as bad as your introduction procrastination : wink :

Last edited:
So here's what I tell people in real life and on this forum. I think of lye like bleach. I'm careful of bleach but not paralyzed. It's just a fascinating process to watch lye/liquid combine with oils and turn into something homemade and awesome. You gotta do it -- all the cool kids are! My biggest oops was glycerin rivers -- no volcanoes, ricing, or stick action here. :)

@Zing That's good advice and great way to look at it. I'm definitely getting closer because many of my hobbies are soap adjacent. I work with candles, perfumes, and other bath and body products so many of the same ingredients in are also in soap. So truly, the only thing I'm missing is lye. Y'all are going to bring me to suds side, aren't you?

So here's what I tell people in real life and on this forum. I think of lye like bleach. I'm careful of bleach but not paralyzed.
This is a great way to think about lye! If I had had this insight I probably would not have waited so long to start making soap. Working with lye is what held me back from starting for years.

@Zing That's good advice and great way to look at it. I'm definitely getting closer because many of my hobbies are soap adjacent. I work with candles, perfumes, and other bath and body products so many of the same ingredients in are also in soap. So truly, the only thing I'm missing is lye. Y'all are going to bring me to suds side, aren't you?
If you already make candles then you know how to be careful and accurate, which is really what's needed.

I had a similar conversation with a friend who's really good at brewing but was nervous about lye - I told him, it's no more difficult than making sure your brewing equipment is properly sterilised and stays that way; it's just a question of not getting things everywhere!

If you already make candles then you know how to be careful and accurate, which is really what's needed.

I had a similar conversation with a friend who's really good at brewing but was nervous about lye - I told him, it's no more difficult than making sure your brewing equipment is properly sterilised and stays that way; it's just a question of not getting things everywhere!

So I can't promise I don't get the wax everywhere because I absolutely do but I also brew and you have to be meticulous about preventing contamination so that's very relatable advice!

Back