Only 2 batches under my belt, both cracked. CP Goats Milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HLN80

Reaction score
The cracks are not that bad really, but what is happening? Can someone explain gelling, getting too hot and so on, I do not understand this part, thank you

There's a lot of explanations on those topics, if you search around the forum.. Like, a ton, as they're popular topics. Here's a recent one, but there are many others.

But yes, the crack is probably overheating due to having milk and/or sugars. Did you insulate your soap in the mold? If the soap is too hot even after fully gelling you might get cracks, so some put their soap in the fridge.

Some people want or don't want to gel their soap, but keeping it cool is one way to try n prevent them but I hear it's a lil more difficult to not gel than to encourage it.

To really narrow it down, people will need much more information - full recipes, temperatures at which you soaped, what you did with the moulds after the pour, what moulds they are. Blow-by-blow.

Might seem like overkill, but if someone makes a suggestion assuming you're using a loaf mould but you used individual moulds, it makes no sense. Also if someone suggests putting the moulds in to a fridge and you had done that already........

Most of the time when my soap has cracked, it has been due to overheating. This can be caused by use of honey, some FOs, may have soaped at too high a temp., or insulating the soap too much so that too much heat has been held in the soap.

I've never used fresh-from-the-goat milk. For some reason I think it can be a bit trickier than pasteurized from the carton, but I can't recall exactly.

You may want to try the "milk in oil method". Made-up numbers here - say your recipe calls for 10 ounce ounces of water. Dissolve your lye in 5 oz of water. When your lye water is cool and your oils are melted and between 100-110 (or lower, depending on what oils you are using), add the milk to the oils. Blend the pot of oils with your stick blender as you pour the lye water in.

Your oils need to be completely melted and clear. So, your temps will be a bit higher for palm or tallow (or cocoa butter or shea butter if you're feeling frisky) than they will with a recipe with lard.

Back