One oil for the rest of your life...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FragranceGuy

Reaction score
Hey soap heads!

1.) If you could only use one oil to make soap for personal use (100% bars) for the rest of your life, what oil would you choose and why?

2.) If you could only choose one oil to make soap AND it was the only oil you could use for cooking would your answer change?

I still have not used the Rice Bran I ordered. It is on n my to do list and tallow now also but I still have to get that.
I really like my RBO bars with added sugar and starch - and castor, though that's not allowed in this discussion - LOL. Search SMF for "Rice Bran" under user @Dawni for lots of pointers!

I really like my RBO bars with added sugar and starch - and castor, though that's not allowed in this discussion - LOL. Search SMF for "Rice Bran" under user @Dawni for lots of pointers!
I’m guessing you add the sugar to the lye solution, but what kind of starch and when do you add it? What do they contribute?

I just realized I could probably search RBO under Dawni (as you suggested) rather than pestering you 🤦🏻‍♂️😆 I’m a noob to forums and I haven’t yet developed my search skills so I’m asking a lot of questions. I hope you all will be patient with me in the beginning.

I just realized I could probably search RBO under Dawni (as you suggested) rather than pestering you 🤦🏻‍♂️😆 I’m a noob to forums and I haven’t yet developed my search skills so I’m asking a lot of questions. I hope you all will be patient with me in the beginning.
LOL! Yes, sugar to the water that's used to make the lye solution. Starch is rice water that's used as lye water substitute in whole or in part. Sugar - bubbles/lather. Starch - hardness (and I think lather too). But, yes, search for that lady Dawni as I am fairly new to the RBO bars. :)

I’m guessing you add the sugar to the lye solution, but what kind of starch and when do you add it? What do they contribute?
You want to fully dissolve the sugar in the batch water before you add the lye. I take some of the water from the total, warm it a bit, add the sugar, stir until dissolved, stir it back into the batch water and then add the lye. @KimW will have to tell you what she does for starch.

ETA: crossed paths with KimW :)

Hey soap heads!

1.) If you could only use one oil to make soap for personal use (100% bars) for the rest of your life, what oil would you choose and why?

2.) If you could only choose one oil to make soap AND it was the only oil you could use for cooking would your answer change?
1.Rice Bran, Good lather, low cost :

2 Olive oil, flavor

Back