One last question for today ...

Discussion in 'Beginners Soap Making Forum' started by tklechak, Apr 23, 2017.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Apr 23, 2017 #1

tklechak

tklechak

tklechak

O.K., one last question (for today) ...... Lately I have been getting a lot of soda ash. I have recently gone from ED food grade lye to 100% lye from the hardware store because I ran out of ED lye. Does the lye make a difference as far as soda ash goes, or is it in my procedure ??? Thanks to all ... AGAIN !!!! Timm........

2. Apr 23, 2017 #2

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just tried this: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=63325

So far, it is working to get rid of the ash, and none is coming back. If the ash is very thick, it might be less successful. It didn't work on my salt bars in the areas that had very heavy ash. And it has only been a few days, but still...

ETA: Others have used lye from the hardware store without problems. Do you gel your soaps? I find if my soap gels, I am far less likely to get ash. If they don't gel, it almost always happens.

3. Apr 23, 2017 #3

ngian

ngian

ngian

From my experience soda ash can be minimised when

a) less than normal water amount is used (eg. 1,5 parts water to 1 part NaOH instead of >2 parts water to 1 part NaOH)

b) saponification will be completed as soon as possible (eg. with the help of higher temperature than normal - CPOP, or by using oils that can be saponified faster like old oils or hard oils, and lastly use additives that accelerate saponification - causing fast trace)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    SunRiseArts and hlecter like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted