One in the oven and one in the freezer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wearytraveler

Reaction score
I made a batch of soap last night and after molding I placed in the oven over night as I have done in the past. This time I happened to have a little left over and put it into a silicone cupcake mold and placed that into the freezer just to see if the lather would be any different from what comes out of the oven.
I removed the loaf from the mold and cut this morning at about 10. I also took the small cupcake mold out of the freezer and left it on top of my fridge. I took a thin end piece from the CPOP loaf and lathered and did a zap test (placing my tongue on plenty of different spots to be sure) and no zap. This evening I remembered I had the cupcake mold sitting on the fridge and I just lathered it and zap tested and got the worst zap I've ever felt the second I put my tongue to it. Did leaving the small left over in the freezer over night somehow slow down the saponification process? I placed a batch in the freezer once to prevent gelling but that was only for 3 hours. Just wondering what's going on.

Thanks!

Hehe. I thought the same when I made up the title for this post.
Thanks for the replies. Since this is all still pretty new to me I wasn't aware that freezing thwarted saponification. Good to know.

Thank for the replies.

Tongue held up well, thankfully. I've felt some minor zapping as a tingle before but this was a zap that made me cringe. I couldn't get my tongue into a stream of cold water fast enough!
I tested the soap again this morning and it was completely zap free. I'm also impressed with how the colors were definitely more vibrant than the main loaf that was CPOP'ed. I've read some conflicting opinions regarding the color vibrancy between gelled and non-gelled and from this little test it seems that non-gelled fared much better with its colors.
At least now I KNOW that soap put in the freezer should be given a few days before I taste it!

One in the oven and one in the freezer for later insemination. :)

How is your tongue, BTW?

Tongue held up well, thankfully. I've felt some minor zapping as a tingle before but this was a zap that made me cringe. I couldn't get my tongue into a stream of cold water fast enough!
I tested the soap again this morning and it was completely zap free. I'm also impressed with how the colors were definitely more vibrant than the main loaf that was CPOP'ed. I've read some conflicting opinions regarding the color vibrancy between gelled and non-gelled and from this little test it seems that non-gelled fared much better with its colors.
At least now I KNOW that soap put in the freezer should be given a few days before I taste it!

Now I am curious about your soap's colors and the colorants you used. And how the colors will last over time, gelled vs. non-gelled, respectively. Do you have photos you can share? It would be interesting to see them side-by-side.

I can snap a couple of shots and upload here later this evening when I get home. I tried to do some hanger swirls that didn't work very well but I used two colors (orange and blue) on the top of the loaf. I had some of each color left over and just poured them into a small silicone cupcake liner and placed that into the freezer. That was the little soap that bit me with its zap. The colors of the freezer soap (non-gelled) are vibrant where the same colors on the top of the CPOP'ed soap aren't. It's a minor experiment and not really apples to apples but I do have it in mind in the near future to make a master batch with a 2 colors (in-the-pot swirl) and pour into two molds (the same molds). I'll CPOP one and place the other into the freezer for about 12 hours to prevent gelling. Then I want to compare the colors after about a week. I think that should be a better side by side test.
As an FYI, I don't have plans to work a lot with colors. My main concern is a good quality and reliable recipe, the scent being second in line then lastly colors, if any. I'm only now starting to play a little with micas/colors and I am proud to admit that this, my first attempt at a hanger swirl, was a fail. But that wont stop me from singing in the shower as I use it!

Now I am curious about your soap's colors and the colorants you used. And how the colors will last over time, gelled vs. non-gelled, respectively. Do you have photos you can share? It would be interesting to see them side-by-side.

Latest posts

Back