One good Recipe or a bunch of recipes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccbrntt

Reaction score
Very new to soaping. I have made 2 Castille or almost castille soaps, 1 hot process, and 3 different cold process soaps. My question is: Is it better to have 1 really good base recipe that you tweak the fragrance or essential oil blends, and also the colorants ( using natural colorants right now) or many recipes? I have 4 books and tons of pinterest boards full of recipes. I enjoy making them, but I am buying a bunch of stuff and wondering if everyone really has multiple oils and multiple stuff around or if they really just stick with a good recipe. Am I making sense? 1 good recipe or do you have a bunch you use?

I have one main recipe. From time to time I will go to soapcalc and try different ratios and oils. Sometimes I have an excess of a particular oil and that'll influence my recipe. Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks to you both!! Just trying to decide how to move forward. I got over excited and purchased a ton of different oils and now need to work my way through them. Hoping to find 1 or 2 really good recipes. Thank you!!!

I have one main recipe that I use most of the time. I have a secondary one that stays workable a bit longer for more intricate swirls. And then I have @Zany_in_CO 's no-slime castile.
The main recipe is changed up by using aloe or rice water, or a coconut milk or oat milk split. Or a fruit puree or similar. My main recipe has seven oils that I have settled on after experimenting with different ones and finding the ones that give me the qualities I like.

Latest posts

Back