one failed one did not

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaolin washer

Reaction score
i recently made two soaps both have the same recipe exept one used 2% honey and one did notthe one with the honey became brittle and i could not cut it the one with out was just fine . I added the honey to the lye water and that caused the lye to heat up and just seemed like it was not going well after that the other soap came out nice as seen in picture

Attachments

• 20211120_145131.jpg
    20211120_145131.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20211120_145150.jpg
    20211120_145150.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 25
General 'rule of thumb' regarding honey is 1 tea per pound of oils. You would add it to some water to thin it out and then add to your oils.

Honey heats up the batter for sure. It can also cause weepy honey speckles or spots.

I notice that your recipe card says to cut at 8 hours. Unless you know your recipe very well, it is best to check on your soaps and cut when they are firm with just a bit of give when you press on them. This can vary from just a few hours to a few days, depending on different additives, ingredients, processes, etc.

yes i added the honey to the lye solution, big mistake I am a newbeeI may try the other way and drop the honey,a to recomendations, also on the batch that worked it has so much hard oils i was afraid it would get so hard it may crack when cutting with the knife so it came out of the mold at 8 hours and was not soft and cut very well , and what amazed me no soda ash at all still looks good aftr drying some

The reiterate what Alioop said, unless you know your recipe and how it behaves quite well you should check in with the soap regularly. Making a change to the recipe can very well make a difference to how long it takes to firm up (or get too firm to cut!) so while experience will let you leave it alone more, until then it's best to keep an eye on it

Back