Once you go Lard - you never go back

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
Finally started adding Lard to my recipes and in terms of controlling my trace it has been a game changer. I cannot believe the difference. These recipes have also not contained shea or cocoa butter. I got some advice from a couple of people on the forum (you know who you are - ;);)) and what a joy it has been to work with. So any of you fellow newbies out there having trouble with controlling your trace - give Lard a try. I also have been using 40% Lye concentration which I read somewhere is some magic number that seems to slow down trace. Maybe it is a combination of both things but I tend to think it has more to do with the Lard.

I'm a lardinator with 40% lye concentration, too! Lard is my favorite soaping oil, and I have used it for body products. However, I prefer the consistency and absorbency of tallow for body products. I've read that tallow is the closest animal fat to human fat, but a quick search showed conflicting information about that, so 🤷‍♀️

I'm a lardinator with 40% lye concentration, too! Lard is my favorite soaping oil, and I have used it for body products. However, I prefer the consistency and absorbency of tallow for body products. I've read that tallow is the closest animal fat to human fat, but a quick search showed conflicting information about that, so 🤷‍♀️

You know that same finger that has been hovering over the Bud Loaf Splitter? It’s been hovering over the 44lb box of tallow from Soapers Choice too! Lol. I really want to do a lard/tallow combo in my soaps as a good percentage of my recipe. Curse you @AliOop Lol

Trying a lard recipe for the first time tonight. Have you tried it with lower concentration and found the trace moves faster?
I have , and there is a difference in my trace time, but it is still VERY slow-moving even with 33% lye solution. I don’t normally soap below that, so I can’t speak to that.

Finally started adding Lard to my recipes and in terms of controlling my trace it has been a game changer. I cannot believe the difference. These recipes have also not contained shea or cocoa butter. I got some advice from a couple of people on the forum (you know who you are - ;);)) and what a joy it has been to work with. So any of you fellow newbies out there having trouble with controlling your trace - give Lard a try. I also have been using 40% Lye concentration which I read somewhere is some magic number that seems to slow down trace. Maybe it is a combination of both things but I tend to think it has more to do with the Lard.
I love Lard in my soap's Its usually the highest ingredient. I want to try Tallow' Ive read it's equally as good as lard' but w/ just a few differences. 💫🧼

Last edited:
You know that same finger that has been hovering over the Bud Loaf Splitter? It’s been hovering over the 44lb box of tallow from Soapers Choice too! Lol. I really want to do a lard/tallow combo in my soaps as a good percentage of my recipe. Curse you @AliOop Lol
please keep us posted on your thoughts on Lard/Tallow 🤗🧼💫

I now after trying many recipes am using Amy Wardens lard recipe and i cannot believe the differnce.A real game changer.

Latest posts

Back