Once wrapped, can soaps of different scents be stored together?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navaria

Reaction score
Some are fully enclosed and some have open ends. Even with the ones that are completely wrapped you can still smell them through the plastic. If I store them in the same (cardboard) box, will the scents transfer or muddle? Thanks in advance!

They will transfer somewhat. Even through plastic bags. However, if you have not stored them long together, separating them and removing any scented wrappings will soon give you the original scent back. If you have stored them together longer than say shipping them, it will require several uses before you will be back down to the original scent.

Well poo. Guess I need a plan B then lol. I was thinking the boxes from soaperschoice would be great for storing but since I only make 2 lb batches I'll need something smaller. Now where did I put all those Amazon boxes...

If they don't touch will the scent transfer? Like if I put a layer of freezer paper between the scents? Basically is it an air transfer or a contact transfer?

When I moved states I put several different scented soaps in the same container, but wrapped the different scents in thick kraft packing paper to keep them separate. I didn't unpack them for a couple months and they each retained their scents. No issues. When I stored shrink wrapped soaps in the same containers only separated by a few inches of space, they soaked up each others scents quite a bit.

Since they are already wrapped in plastic individually, have you thought of putting the same scented bars into gallon ziploc freezer bags and then put those into the box? I would imagine (and I don't know this, I'm just tossing an idea out there) that since they're already fully cured, it would be ok to leave them in an air-tight (or even airless?) environment for long-term storage. (It sounds like the scientists need to jump in and say yeah or nay to my idea.)

Since they are already wrapped in plastic individually, have you thought of putting the same scented bars into gallon ziploc freezer bags and then put those into the box? I would imagine (and I don't know this, I'm just tossing an idea out there) that since they're already fully cured, it would be ok to leave them in an air-tight (or even airless?) environment for long-term storage. (It sounds like the scientists need to jump in and say yeah or nay to my idea.)

I think o remember reading on here that even when fully cured they will continue to lose water which is why the shrink wrap may become looser over time. Because of that you shouldn't store them in a plastic container. I could be mistaken on that tho. I've spent so much time reading posts that I'm afraid some of the info has become muddled in my poor brain. Which is why I will read the same post several times weeks apart lol

Thank you grassyriver! So "compartmenting" them in the same container will keep scents from transferring. That what I needed to know and will make things SO much easier on me!

I think o remember reading on here that even when fully cured they will continue to lose water which is why the shrink wrap may become looser over time. Because of that you shouldn't store them in a plastic container. I could be mistaken on that tho. I've spent so much time reading posts that I'm afraid some of the info has become muddled in my poor brain. Which is why I will read the same post several times weeks apart lol

Thanks! This is good to know. (And I know how you feel about reading things on this forum!) I was planning on doing that with my soaps. I guess I won't now. Hmmm. Now I need to think of something else.

Thanks! This is good to know. (And I know how you feel about reading things on this forum!) I was planning on doing that with my soaps. I guess I won't now. Hmmm. Now I need to think of something else.
Tell me about it! I didn't think of the storage issue when I went crazy and made so much soap. Now my rack is full and I don't know what to do with it lol

Tell me about it! I didn't think of the storage issue when I went crazy and made so much soap. Now my rack is full and I don't know what to do with it lol

That's why I took it all to work with me Thursday and gave it away. I took two shopping bags full of soap and came home yesterday with one shopping bag half full. So glad to unload the ugly soaps from year one. Now to make ugly soaps during year two!!

I put my wrapped soaps in a gallon ziplock. I leave the bag unzipped and put all the bags in a big box together. If I had something REALLY powerful like patchouli, it would probably go in it's own box.

Thanks all! I actually had a lightbulb moment and figured out I can put all the soaps, lotions, bombs ect with the same scent in the same box and not have to worry about scent transfer or a bunch of 1/4 full boxes. That will also make it easier to find the lotion I want. I just have to open that scent box instead of picking up every bottle to read the label

Thank you grassyriver! So "compartmenting" them in the same container will keep scents from transferring. That what I needed to know and will make things SO much easier on me!

Ack! I forgot to add they they had been shrink wrapped prior to wrapping them in the paper. A few still curing ones I had left unwrapped during the move and they didn't share their scent, but it seemed like the paper absorbed some scent.

Back