? on using soap calc 9

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaysoap

Reaction score
I am having a hard time (surprise) on figuring out how to put in my lye and water. This is my base recipe. OO 30oz, CO 20oz and SO 10oz. I add 20oz of water and 244grams (8.6oz) of lye. to me it has a nice lather and gets fairly hard. What does the calc say? The coconut oil is what they sale at the local wally world.

Michael:

38% water/oil
5% superfat

Coconut oil 20 Oz.
Olive oil 30 oz.
soybean oil 10 oz.

Water 22.8 oz.
lye 8.636
Hardness 37 Cleansing 22 Condition 58 Bubbly 22 Creamy 14
Iodine 66 INS 151

Michael, thanks to Neil for that. 8) :) I'd take a moderate liquids discount to get a harder bar faster and soap with a 30% lye solution. That is a 33% water/oil ratio and you would cut your water to 20.1 ounces for this batch. Other than that, that is a decent recipe with pretty good numbers. It needs a good 6 week cure time with the water as stated and the higher olive oil amount, but it will harden and if you can give it 8 weeks or more....WOW! 8)

I ran your recipe through SoapMaker, and the numbers come out pretty good but I agree with Paul: if you discount your water, by at least 15%, you'll get harder bars, faster. You can find my program at http://www.soapmaker.ca

Soapmaker Man said:
Michael, thanks to Neil for that. 8) :) I'd take a moderate liquids discount to get a harder bar faster and soap with a 30% lye solution. That is a 33% water/oil ratio and you would cut your water to 20.1 ounces for this batch. Other than that, that is a decent recipe with pretty good numbers. It needs a good 6 week cure time with the water as stated and the higher olive oil amount, but it will harden and if you can give it 8 weeks or more....WOW! 8)

I am confused. You state that it is a 33% water/oil ratio, but in the calc it says it's 38%. What am I missing? Thanks!...or do youmean that the 30% lye concentration is 33%? I am thinking that is what you meant now;)

Paula said:
Soapmaker Man said:

I am confused. You state that it is a 33% water/oil ratio, but in the calc it says it's 38%. What am I missing? Thanks!...or do youmean that the 30% lye concentration is 33%? I am thinking that is what you meant now;)

Yes, I put in 30 to 33% lye concentration, 4 to 5% lye discount, and add my oils by percentage, thin hit "Compute Recipe." I like thinking lye strength % rather than water to oils percentage. It is easier the way I TRPC my method.

Paul

Back