On the fly printing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nighttrain123

Reaction score
If I have labels printed out already, but wanted to add a batch number to the label, does anyone know the best way?

One option is just to hand write it on, but I'm not satisfied with this.

Another way would be an old school rubber stamp, and this is what I might use if there's no digital solution.

Would appreciate any feedback.

You could print out the batch numbers separately on sheet paper, cut them and scotch tape them onto the existing labels. Or if ease of use is more important than saving money, print on labels, and stick the labels onto the existing labels.

You could print out the batch numbers separately on sheet paper, cut them and scotch tape them onto the existing labels. Or if ease of use is more important than saving money, print on labels, and stick the labels onto the existing labels.

That's not a bad idea really but I was hoping for something less fiddly. I bought an OTS lip balm the other day and the manufacture had done some sort of on the fly dot matrix print onto the tin, over the existing printed label. Just wondered how this was done and how costly.

Thats really common and is usually part of the manufacturing/packaging process (or at least the automated ones).

Dont forget if you are making a change to the label in the way it looks (other than adding a small batch code) the new label needs be uploaded to the EU portal

Thats really common and is usually part of the manufacturing/packaging process (or at least the automated ones).

Dont forget if you are making a change to the label in the way it looks (other than adding a small batch code) the new label needs be uploaded to the EU portal

Yeah it's just the batch number I'm speaking of. In principle I could just print out labels with the correct batch number already on, but this means I have to adjust my label every batch and print out labels 'in batches' as it were. It's gonna take more man hrs.

You can buy tiny labels. Just print the number on the tiny labels and stick the label on your printed soap label.

Are the labels on sheets? You could eyeball it, guess where about you need and run the printed labels back through the printer. Print it on a sheet of paper first and hold the sheet of paper and the sheet of labels up to a light source to see if it works.

What are you using to print your labels? I use Maestro from Online Labels (I get my labels from there and get free subscription to the service) and it is very easy to save projects, update when I make new batches, and printout only what I need. Avery also has a program that allows you to save projects, although I don't find it as easy to use.

Are the labels on sheets? You could eyeball it, guess where about you need and run the printed labels back through the printer. Print it on a sheet of paper first and hold the sheet of paper and the sheet of labels up to a light source to see if it works.
That's what I would do - with some caveats:

1) You'll need to use an inkjet or dot matrix for the second pass; it's not a good idea to run a second pass with a laser printer.
2) Your current labels need to be able to accept the ink. If they're too shiny, or solid toner or something it probably won't work.

Is it required to have a batch number when you gift the soap, or only when you sell it?

Back