On the Chemistry of Liquid Soap Making Processes...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. Continuing on from my earlier post...

I could wax intellectual about the 'likelihood' of certain amounts of water being present in this reaction to prevent the formation of alkoxide salts. I was going to reason that the fact we see bubbles at all actually shifts the position of equilibrium in the favour of 'the forward reaction' (as discussed earlier), driving the formation of more alkoxides. However, believe it or not, I'm not all that interested in the theoretical ifs and buts. I'm a practical scientist - and I realised that there was an experiment I could do to find out FOR SURE whether or not the bubbles seen in this reaction were solely from the water initially present in the KOH or whether the water was being produced in the process (which would confirm that we are generating alkoxides)...

I had a bit of spare time today, so I did it. Here it is:

The experiment I am about to describe is really quite simple. It just involves preparing a mixture of KOH and glycerin (in the correct proportions of course), heating it (and recording the temperature using an infrared thermometer) and then weighing the total mixture periodically. The loss in weight must be due to water boiling off - as long as the temperature stays below 290 oC (which is the boiling point of glycerin).

So if we assume that the KOH I used contains 9% water by mass, we can calculate how much weight *should* be lost and compare that to the actual observed weight loss of the mixture. If the mixture loses 9% of its mass (or less) and stops boiling, then it means that the only water present was the 9% impurity in the KOH to start with. If, on the other hand, more than 9% weight loss is observed, then it confirms that water is being produced in the process and indicates that the glycerin is actually reacting with KOH (to form alkoxide species and water).

Here are some of the details of the experiment set up;

Amount of glycerin used: 62.40 g
Amount of KOH used: 19.83 g
Container: 250 mL borosilicate glass beaker
Heating method: kitchen hob (electric)
Temperature measurement: Infrared thermometer

Now, the situation is slightly complicated. I am using a very sensitive balance and it cannot be used to weigh things which are hot. So it simply means I have to allow the mixture to cool before weighing it. For that reason, the experiment is being broken down into four stages of heating (with cooling and weighing in between each stage). I have included the results and some pics of the experiment as attachments.

The scatter graphs might look a little complicated, but the blue dots simply show the temperature of the mixture (temperature is shown on the left vertical axis and the thick vertical red lines show the point at which heating was ceased) with time shown along the horizontal axis. The orange dotted line shows the amount of weight lost (in grams) - the axis used for this weight loss measurement is on the right hand side - which is bound to confuse a few of you.

The bar chart is a much more simplified representation of the weight loss over the four heating stages. We were expecting no more that 9% (of the KOH mass) to be lost from the mixture if the only water present was that impurity in the KOH as supplied. In fact I have measured a whopping 59% (over 11 g) lost over the four heating stages!

This means that water is indeed being produced by the reaction of glycerin and KOH!
:cool:

Which means alkoxide species are indeed being generated. Now, exactly what kind of mischief these alkoxides get up to when they are added to a mixture of plant oils is still up for debate... I think we'll leave that for another time.

CONCLUSIONS:

Please don't anyone panic! I heated this KOH glycerin mixture excessively to prove that there is indeed a reaction between the two chemicals. In fact, by the end of this experiment, my mixture was starting to turn a light yellow colour (see attachment) and started producing a nasty 'burning plastic' smell (of course I had adequate ventilation so no worries about safety). In the methods I have seen, i.e. if people are careful with the temperature of the mixture and the time for which it is heated, this unwanted chemical reaction will be minimised. It is certainly going on though, so my advice to anyone using the new KOH/ Glycerin method is to keep the temperature and heating time as low as possible. Boiling for two (or three) minutes should be enough to dissolve the KOH.

Thank you topofmurrayhill for inspiring me to get off my chair and put on my lab specs once again! :) I feel like I accomplished something today and also - now there is some empirical evidence to support my hypothesis about alkoxide salts!

More experiments to come in the future, guys... Thanks for reading.

Happy soaping!

Expt_Start.jpg

Boiling_KOH_Glycerin_Mixture.jpg

Expt_End.jpg

Temperature and weight loss graphs.jpg

% weight loss of KOH.jpg

View attachment weight loss koh gly.pdf

View attachment % of KOH Mass Lost.pdf

Last edited:
OK. Continuing on from my earlier post...

I could wax intellectual about the 'likelihood' of certain amounts of water being present in this reaction to prevent the formation of alkoxide salts. I was going to reason that the fact we see bubbles at all actually shifts the position of equilibrium in the favour of 'the forward reaction' (as discussed earlier), driving the formation of more alkoxides. However, believe it or not, I'm not all that interested in the theoretical ifs and buts. I'm a practical scientist - and I realised that there was an experiment I could do to find out FOR SURE whether or not the bubbles seen in this reaction were solely from the water initially present in the KOH or whether the water was being produced in the process (which would confirm that we are generating alkoxides)...

That's great. Thanks for taking the time to do it and post the results. I'm going to study all this in more detail when I have time so that hopefully I'll have a few informed questions to accompany my naive ones.

I have actually tried to steer people away from dissolving KOH in glycerin, because it seemed to go against our general orientation towards teaching people how to soap safely. Dissolving KOH in glycerin combines the dangers of chemical and thermal burns, introduces the possibility of boil-over, and even could result in the production of hydrogen and decomposition products at excessive temperatures. IrishLass, pretty much our most experienced and knowledgeable contributor and proponent of the glycerin method, has lately followed suit in recommending the more conservative approach of preparing a saturated solution of KOH in water and combining same with room temperature glycerin.

We were, of course, assuming that the results would be essentially the same, and superficially at least that appeared to be the case. Your pointing out that the results could be significantly different is very intriguing. And it begs the question of which results might be more desirable.

That's great. Thanks for taking the time to do it and post the results. I'm going to study all this in more detail when I have time so that hopefully I'll have a few informed questions to accompany my naive ones.

I have actually tried to steer people away from dissolving KOH in glycerin, because it seemed to go against our general orientation towards teaching people how to soap safely. Dissolving KOH in glycerin combines the dangers of chemical and thermal burns, introduces the possibility of boil-over, and even could result in the production of hydrogen and decomposition products at excessive temperatures. IrishLass, pretty much our most experienced and knowledgeable contributor and proponent of the glycerin method, has lately followed suit in recommending the more conservative approach of preparing a saturated solution of KOH in water and combining same with room temperature glycerin.

We were, of course, assuming that the results would be essentially the same, and superficially at least that appeared to be the case. Your pointing out that the results could be significantly different is very intriguing. And it begs the question of which results might be more desirable.
Indeed, topofmurrayhill, there is no substitute for experimental evidence. :)

By the way, your questions were not naive at all! It was a **** good question regarding the residual water in KOH being responsible for the bubbles. It spurred me on to do the experiment and there was a chance that you would have been correct. However I knew that KOH was a strong enough base to rip off protons (hydrogen ions) from glycerin and strongly suspected that dehydration would be occuring.

Now there are still many more questions! I noted during the experiment that the KOH had completely dissolved after the second heating stage (as the temperature of the mixture approached 120 oC). At this stage, the mixture had lost only 1.38 g of it's mass (a mere 7% of the mass of KOH used - well under the estimated amount of residual water present in commercial KOH). So the question remains: what % of glycerin had been converted into potassium alkoxides at this stage in the process?? Is it a significant amount and, more importantly, would it interfere with the saponification process?

My guess is that there would be a significant proportion of alkoxide present at that stage, which would then go on to react with the triglycerides in the oil mixture, forming mono- and di-glycerides. Of course the normal saponification process would be going on as well (as long as some of the KOH did not react with the glycerin). So in all likelihood, we would end up with a mixture of glycerides and the normal saponification products. Without proper chemical analysis, the percentages here are anyones guess...

One thing did occur to me though. The KOH/Glycerin mixture from yesterdays experiment has completely solidified now (see attached). In fact, I noticed, even in the earlier stages of the experiment, that when the mixture cooled it got REALLY thick (I know how viscous glycerin is at room temperature and this was WAY beyond that - even at 40 oC!). People have noted in the past that this process produces a soap which is 'lovely and thick'... I wonder if the weird side products are partly reponsible for the increased viscosity..? I mean, I have made an incredibly thick paste (or perhaps 'gel' would be more appropriate? It is kind of yielding and elastic - like rubber) without even adding any oils - I can see how something like this could have an incredible effect on the thickness of the final product. Just an interesting side note at this stage.

I have more questions than answers... But that's science for ya!

Alkoxide_mixture.jpg

Great information curiouschemist, thank you for every bit of it!

Although I have only made the 1 part KOH to 1 part water method and later this solution is inserted in the recipe’s glycerin or in the oils and glycerin mix, the final liquid soap has a nice and somehow heavy feeling on its suds and I guess that the excess amount of glycerin is maybe responsible for that.

Furthermore if I dilute the specific soap paste at 2 parts water to 1 part paste, the watery liquid soap will be perfect for foam dispensers and the suds of the foam will stay alive for long enough reminding me the suds of a Shaving soap with its salts of Stearic /Palmitic fatty acids. Glycerin is known for the ability to give more lifetime to a bubble before it pops.

These all are just a point of view of a specific way I 'm making liquid soap along with my feedback without any chemistry analysis.

Looking forward to any other input of yours.

Latest posts

Back