OMG! It's been 6 months!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's been half of a year since I made soap!! For 2 weeks I've been kicking myself because I couldn't get up the motivation to make soap; I want to....but something kept stopping me. Is it because it's been so long? Does anyone else lose their soaping mojo after a long hiatus?

Same here. I made so much soap I took a break and really couldn't get back into for awhile, think I just got burned out. I've made two batches in the last two days but I still need to make some unscented. I seem to go in spurts now, make soap for a week or two, then take a break for a few months.

I haven't made any in 2 years :eek::eek::eek:, I need to get some done for Christmas, the motivation might come this weekend :rolleyes:, either that or Christmas will come first. Dh said why do you need to make soap when we have plenty, well, we have plenty but none with any scent, so have to make some to give for presents with a chrismassy scent.

I’ve struggled hard the last year since we moved. I get spouts of motivation, I recently did a bunch of wedding favors for a friend but ended up doing melt and pour cause I couldn’t get motivated in enough time to make CP. I guess life just has its peaks and valleys and my soap passion is waiting around the next bend I hope.

You're not alone! I, too, go through peaks and valleys. Sometimes I just have to take a breather for several months in a row so that we can catch up with the huge backlog of soap we have on hand! It really piles up!

IrishLass :)

I haven’t made anything since April! First it was a time issue now it’s a depression issue (a touch of regular + seasonal starting to hit). Thankfully I don’t need to make Christmas soaps but I do have plans for knitting.

Motivation? Still working on that. I think I’ll have to force myself to make a batch one day just to make sure I remember how. Something pretty, none of my current soaps are girly

I go through periods where I don't feel like making soap. I usually take a break and the inspiration will eventually return. A new technique or ingredient can sometimes help encourage my motivation too.

I haven't made soap since the end of September and I'm starting to get the twitches... lol. Last year when we were moving, I made soap two nights before I moved, and then a month passed before I broke down and took over the kitchen one night to get a fix in. It was a good motivator for my husband to get my soap space finished. I think making it is as much a compulsion as buying it.

I think most people do that with any hobby they have. (For those that sell for a living, they have their motivation built in, not they don't get tired of it now and then.) I made a couple of batches last week, but I can't seem to get my mojo back for more. I actually like to make a lot of soap in a short period of time since it seems to make me more efficient. Then I stop for too long and forget my methods that make it go fast. Maybe we should all agree to make soap this weekend, and the commitment will make us actually more inclined to do it! Ha ha

I hear you, Lenarenee. I've been in a creative desert for some months now too. It seems like the basics of life are taking up way too much of my time and creative energy, and that makes me cranky if it goes on long enough. I had a melt down while cleaning up my very messy attic one hot August afternoon. It was a temper tantrum fit for a 3 year old, complete with stomping around as well as sweat and tears. And my poor DH happened to be within earshot.

Thankfully I don't do things like this but once in a very great long while.

I was trying to organize some of my craft supplies and as I worked, I became increasingly frustrated about how long it had been since I'd used any of them. There always seems to be a good reason why I should do X rather than make soap. Or do Y rather than do a wet-felting project. Etc, etc, etc.

It really hit me that I was not doing anything much in a creative sense. Sure, I'm plenty busy, but that's not the same. After blowing off plenty of steam in the attic, I calmed down and went back to cleaning and tidying. After thinking about the reasons for my blow up, I've decided to make a small but real effort to do activities that make me fulfilled and creative.

FWIW, DH survived ... and bless his sweet heart, he's kindly chosen to remember the message and not hold the tantrum against me.

My biggest change is that my daughter and grandkids moved back here last June. She’s a single mom, her ex husband is a Marine and volunteered to be sent overseas to Japan active duty. So I spend almost every day with them doing something or just hanging out.

I missed the first 4-5 years with the kids and her except for the occasional visit. Loving every minute of it. But I also love making soap and my business. So time to make some time. They help me at my shows.

The same happened to me last year if you remember when my mom and sister passed away within 4 months of each other. I was in a bad space. I love making soap. I give away more then I sell. I am also an Herbalist for the last 15 years and make many herbal remedies, tinctures, salves and potions etc. I love both of these hobbies.

But I just could not muster the energy to actually make anything. I'm doing much better now and for the last few months I think I'm back in the saddle. Its therapeutic as you know.

I find that for me, looking at soap pics on Pinterest or watching new videos inspires me to soap. I usually always get inspired.

MAYBE WE COULD DO ANOTHER SOAP SWAP! THAT CERTAINLY WOULD INSPIRE US TO SOAP AND GIVE TO OUR FRIENDS HERE AND WE CAN GET PRODUCTS THAT CAN INSPIRE US AS WELL!

ANYONE GAME AFTER THE HOLIDAYS??

The same happened to me last year if you remember when my mom and sister passed away within 4 months of each other. I was in a bad space. I love making soap. I give away more then I sell. I am also an Herbalist for the last 15 years and make many herbal remedies, tinctures, salves and potions etc. I love both of these hobbies.

But I just could not muster the energy to actually make anything. I'm doing much better now and for the last few months I think I'm back in the saddle. Its therapeutic as you know.

I find that for me, looking at soap pics on Pinterest or watching new videos inspires me to soap. I usually always get inspired.

MAYBE WE COULD DO ANOTHER SOAP SWAP! THAT CERTAINLY WOULD INSPIRE US TO SOAP AND GIVE TO OUR FRIENDS HERE AND WE CAN GET PRODUCTS THAT CAN INSPIRE US AS WELL!

That sounds like an awesome idea! I'm down for a swap!

Noooooo!!!! :p I still have soap from the Home Sweet Home swap... btw y'all's soaps are aging very well. We have so many good soapmakers here. If you do a swap, I'll probably watch from afar, but for those who are interested in doing one: Do.it.

Noooooo!!!! :p I still have soap from the Home Sweet Home swap... btw y'all's soaps are aging very well. We have so many good soapmakers here. If you do a swap, I'll probably watch from afar, but for those who are interested in doing one: Do.it.

That may be just the thing to motivate the mojo though. I too have soaps left from the swap and try to keep one in the shower.

I checked the curing racks. Everything is at least two months in so I have labeling and packaging to do.
Maybe we can get Lenarenee in to this swap...:nodding:

That may be just the thing to motivate the mojo though. I too have soaps left from the swap and try to keep one in the shower.

I checked the curing racks. Everything is at least two months in so I have labeling and packaging to do.
Maybe we can get Lenarenee in to this swap...:nodding:

That is why I suggested it. It will get everyone moving! lol Out of the funk that everyone seems to be in!

Well I have to say that I am glad to know others have been feeling the same way and were willing to "out" themselves. I'm in good company. And I sure appreciate the kindness and support here. Truth be told, I've been....not myself.... lately. This constant wait for repairs on the house, having to live in our bedrooms, the political climate (had to unplug from all of that for my sanity), I broke my foot, then pulled a muscle in my shoulder, then hurt the same foot again - - I've just been down. Hard to focus on learning to sell soap, or practice making other products in a house that doesn't even look sanitary, and when standing for a whole HOUR hurts! And let's pretend that that we haven't been eating out more and gaining pounds. Hate cooking in a kitchen that looks out onto broken walls, grubby remnants of removed wood and carpets...etc. Then there's the guilt for not handling all this better....

Well - the repairs start Monday! I might be adopting an unwanted cat (love kitties!!!) and now someone has tempted me with a swap - which I've never been able to do before. Time to focus on rejuvenation!

Well I have to say that I am glad to know others have been feeling the same way and were willing to "out" themselves. I'm in good company. And I sure appreciate the kindness and support here. Truth be told, I've been....not myself.... lately. This constant wait for repairs on the house, having to live in our bedrooms, the political climate (had to unplug from all of that for my sanity), I broke my foot, then pulled a muscle in my shoulder, then hurt the same foot again - - I've just been down. Hard to focus on learning to sell soap, or practice making other products in a house that doesn't even look sanitary, and when standing for a whole HOUR hurts! And let's pretend that that we haven't been eating out more and gaining pounds. Hate cooking in a kitchen that looks out onto broken walls, grubby remnants of removed wood and carpets...etc. Then there's the guilt for not handling all this better....

Well - the repairs start Monday! I might be adopting an unwanted cat (love kitties!!!) and now someone has tempted me with a swap - which I've never been able to do before. Time to focus on rejuvenation!

You know I have put the same pressure on myself for so much! All you can do is go with the flow! Don't stress and let things happen. I always had to have control of everything. But you know, now at 63 and after the death of my mom and sister, you start to question your own mortality. I just had to let things go and not stress them anymore. Everything will eventually get done but not at the expense of our health.

I agree redhead, especially the, not at the expense of your health.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back