OMG! It's been 6 months!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know I have put the same pressure on myself for so much! All you can do is go with the flow! Don't stress and let things happen. I always had to have control of everything. But you know, now at 63 and after the death of my mom and sister, you start to question your own mortality. I just had to let things go and not stress them anymore. Everything will eventually get done but not at the expense of our health.

You are so correct about this! I just put out three loaves this week after a 4 1/2 month dry spell (mostly due to moving, but a lot due to depression from the move and circumstances that have arisen since the move). I start on again on the 14th, EXACTLY 7 years from the date of my heart attack at age 40. Did I intend to start again on that day?...NO, it just happened, but through it, and from the last 7 years, I have learned that life is short and it can be gone in an instant. If I had not recognized the symptoms of a heart attack in a female, I would have gone to bed that night and not woken up the next morning. Now, I have stopped stressing about making sure all the boxes are completely unpacked and everything is exactly where I plan for it to go, these will get done, but I no longer need to spend 8-10 hours per day doing them. The major essential boxes are all unpacked, the kitchen is clean and organized, so all I need to do is gradually go through the other boxes (mostly non-essential stuff and a lot of paperwork that can now be shredded), maintain the day to day living in the house, and focus on my health by maintaining (at least trying to) a good, positive outlook on life and doing what makes me feel less stressed.

I feel like when I soap and not really in the mood, it never turns out the way I had hoped and that just further unmotivates me. I'm rather new here but the idea of doing a soap swap would be so fun! How does it work? See? Now I want to get up and soap!

I feel like when I soap and not really in the mood, it never turns out the way I had hoped and that just further unmotivates me. I'm rather new here but the idea of doing a soap swap would be so fun! How does it work? See? Now I want to get up and soap!

That is why I suggested it. But I would have to have the approval of admin - s Ill get back to you on a swap. They are fun and you get a real sense of what others are working on and how their soap feels. I thought last time it was inspiring.

That is why I suggested it. But I would have to have the approval of admin - s Ill get back to you on a swap. They are fun and you get a real sense of what others are working on and how their soap feels. I thought last time it was inspiring.

If you’re really interested in doing the swap let me know and I’ll take it to the other admins for approval. I may be interested in participating again though I still have some left from last year too. [emoji3]

If you’re really interested in doing the swap let me know and I’ll take it to the other admins for approval. I may be interested in participating again though I still have some left from last year too. [emoji3]

Yep - Would love too! See what they think and then I guess we can gauge interest to see who else would be in. If we get enough it could be worth doing. I loved that last one. After the holidays? Whatever you think Im game.

Glad to see that I'm not alone here. I've misplaced my motivation too. I haven't made soap since the beginning of September when I finally made a request for some 3 Wise Men soap for Christmas. I've been wanting to make guest sized soaps to give away to my co-workers for Christmas this year but I keep finding reasons not to, like a lack of curing space. I'm sure if I rearranged some things, I could make space. I also need to take soap pics for my DIL to upload to my website and social media accounts. Hopefully I can get my hiney in gear soon.

Wow, am I happy to read that I'm in good company! I've been in such a slump for ages, I've barely even checked the forum in months. I didn't even get any holiday scents ordered this year. And that's after plans for selling this year!! [emoji51]

I gotten a bit of the itch the last few weeks, so it was time to come back!

Inspiration seems to me like a gift, but one that I can work at to bring toward me.

I hear you, that you feel your inspiration has left your soapy apothecary. I'm sorry. I know how sad that feels. And, you can call it back. I call it back by being quiet, by looking through Pinterest, studying cake makers or just getting in my soap lab and putting my hands to things... And sometimes, that doesn't work. Yesterday we stopped by a Halloween store. It was cheesy, but it piqued my curiosity. I hope your inspiration drops by and you enjoy a lovely time.

Last edited:
You are so correct about this! I just put out three loaves this week after a 4 1/2 month dry spell (mostly due to moving, but a lot due to depression from the move and circumstances that have arisen since the move). I start on again on the 14th, EXACTLY 7 years from the date of my heart attack at age 40. Did I intend to start again on that day?...NO, it just happened, but through it, and from the last 7 years, I have learned that life is short and it can be gone in an instant. If I had not recognized the symptoms of a heart attack in a female, I would have gone to bed that night and not woken up the next morning. Now, I have stopped stressing about making sure all the boxes are completely unpacked and everything is exactly where I plan for it to go, these will get done, but I no longer need to spend 8-10 hours per day doing them. The major essential boxes are all unpacked, the kitchen is clean and organized, so all I need to do is gradually go through the other boxes (mostly non-essential stuff and a lot of paperwork that can now be shredded), maintain the day to day living in the house, and focus on my health by maintaining (at least trying to) a good, positive outlook on life and doing what makes me feel less stressed.

I hope things get better for you. Take it easy and come in here for a friendly chat about all things soap. I promised myself (about 2 weeks ago) I'd keep our main lining/dining room tidy enough for anyone to walk in. Looking around it already looks like a bomb dropped again. Ho hum. At least the gardening, cooking, making soap and washing are getting done.

I haven't made any in 2 years :eek::eek::eek:, I need to get some done for Christmas, the motivation might come this weekend :rolleyes:, either that or Christmas will come first. Dh said why do you need to make soap when we have plenty, well, we have plenty but none with any scent, so have to make some to give for presents with a chrismassy scent.
You still have time! GO for it. Once you get started again it will be fine. I think choosing the scents is the big hurdle for me.
Oh yeah and I just got abused on facebook and that put me off for a while. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
You still have time! GO for it. Once you get started again it will be fine. I think choosing the scents is the big hurdle for me.
Oh yeah and I just got abused on facebook and that put me off for a while. :(

Look at 2 posts ago PJ, I made soap yesterday, yeahhhh. I'll try to get a couple more done over the weekend. Stay awayyyy, stay awayyyy from FB.

Look at 2 posts ago PJ, I made soap yesterday, yeahhhh. I'll try to get a couple more done over the weekend. Stay awayyyy, stay awayyyy from FB.

Hi Relle,
Congratulations on making some soap!
I will stay away from FB from now on! Thanks.

I have just made 3 perfect soaps - all different recipes - in a row. Doing cartwheels.

I'd really enjoy seeing your soaps too, PenelopeJane. But if your heart is seriously saying "no" then you should respect that voice. And I will respect you for taking care of yourself.

Back