Olive vs. Pomace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pink-north

Reaction score
I have been using pure olive oil in my soap formulas and it's been working out well, but I was wondering which is better for making a pure castile soap, olive oil or pomace (did I spell that right?)? Anyone out there that can shed some light on this for me? Thanks

There really is not any reason that you can not use olive pomace other than it is not as high grade or quality as other olive oils. OP is also made using solvents so for some that is a concern. The other thing to note is that you can get more of a green color with olive pomace and some say it traces faster. I think most that have soaped with olive pomace and the other types of olive oils will tell you that there is really no difference in the end product. At least for me there was not.

I was given some pomace and used it a but I didn't like the way it seemed to change my 'method of madness'. :eek: The faster trace was not something I want to work with. And the content of solvents is not appealing to me.
On the other hand, as CPSoaper said, others I know who use it regularly are rather pleased with it.

Back