Olive vs avocado in CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saintlysoaper

Reaction score
Does anyone think that avocado oil offers enough in terms of unique properties to be worth substituting for some of the olive oil in CP? I see that avocado has a bit more palmitic and less oleic but overall they seem close enough that I wonder if it's worth me trying it.

Some years ago, I was formulating a facial soap recipe and did a blind test with a half dozen different recipes and I think there were 16 testers. The testers had no idea what was in the soaps, and I was thinking that the castile or maybe the bastile would be the favorite, but the overwhelming winner was the one with about 7% avocado oil. Avocado is nice!

Thanks to all. Seems it would be worth my while trying it after all. Very interesting to note that testers could detect a difference at just 7%, I was thinking of adding around 20%!

I can always detect a soap that has olive oil in it. It is not my favorite oil because it always feels sticky even with a long cure to me. With avocado I do not get that feel so I use it at 15 - 20% in most of my soaps. Normally I use HO Sunflower or Safflower as a replacement for OO. There are people highly allergic to avocado so it is not in all my soaps. I have a decent source for avocado, although it is not cheap, approx $130 for 5 gallons (35 lbs), it is cheaper than purchasing the small bottles of avocado oil. It is my favorite oil :)

That's interesting Carolyn, i have loved sunflower oil in my soaps but I have not had any high oleic so I've had to keep it fairly low. I think I'll look into that. Doesn't high oleic from any source contribute to bar slime though?

I haven't soaped enough to really know the difference but I like both so far. I might just make a soap using 45-50% of each oil to see. It'll give me a chance to use some shea butter.

I like avocado in my soap not much though, 5 % is not a lot but it makes the difference, I can notice it
I had some feedback and people really like the ones with avocado oil

It might just be my imagination, but it seems like avocado makes my lather a little bit creamier than if I use sweet almond or sunflower oils. If I use avocado, I'll usually use it around 5% or a bit more. It makes for a lovely addition!

I had a recipe that called for 10% S.Almond oil and was out of so I subbed it with Avocado and have not looked back since. It is really conditioning.

Avocado has a higher amount of "unsaponifiables", which helps to make it so nice (well, IMO anyway) - these don't show up in a fatty acid profile. I think it's definitely worth subbing some olive with it!

I think I will definitely sub 10% of my olive oil for the avocado and see how I like the difference!

Avocado Oil

Absolutely not. Avocado oil left DOS in my soap and I have stopped using it every since

I regularly use avocado oil at about 20%. Never had a problem with DOS.

Everyone's recipes, storage conditions, ans supplier of oils is different. Carolyn has DOS problems with lard - most other people don't. It is just something we have to try out ourselves and see if it is going to work for us.

Back