Olive vs avocado in CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto what Kchaystack said- your mileage may vary, but for what it's worth, I've been using it in my HP shave soap for over a year without any DOS issues. And a few months ago used it @ 30% in a batch of Genny's famous shampoo-bar recipe.... which doubles as an awesome body bar, btw. So far, it's holding up great, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it as the months progress.

IrishLass :)

I haven't done a lot of experimenting with avocado - still working on it. But there does seem to be quite a difference between the refined and unrefined avocado oils. My preference is unrefined...but dang if I can't find it around unless it's mixed with another oil, or lemon flavored!

For what it's worth, I've been using the Spectrum-brand 'cold-pressed, refined for high heat' avocado oil in my soaps. I buy it at my local health-food store and also at Wholefoods.

IrishLass :)

I haven't done a lot of experimenting with avocado - still working on it. But there does seem to be quite a difference between the refined and unrefined avocado oils. My preference is unrefined...but dang if I can't find it around unless it's mixed with another oil, or lemon flavored!

That's interesting. I wasn't aware there was an unrefined avocado oil available. It must be pricey Because avocado oil certainly ain't cheap where I live. :???:

That's interesting. I wasn't aware there was an unrefined avocado oil available. It must be pricey Because avocado oil certainly ain't cheap where I live. :???:

Someone gave me a bottle of it (small) and I used at 10%. It did add a nice quality to the soap, but at this time I like shea better (shea and tallow seem to really work awesome together!!), and I haven't done any further experimenting. My recipe is vastly hard oils, but I use 10% of something very oleic like oo, ho safflower/sunflower, avocado.

As for avocado oil cost - I'm in s. California where people have avocado trees in their yards....and the stuff is still extremely expensive!!!

I have a couple of Genny's shampoo bars made with avocado 30% almost 2 years old, stored in the bathroom and no DOS. I check on them frequently.

I purchase my avocado at Costco.

My favorite soaps all have avacado oil in them. I buy mine at Costco for 9-10 $ for a good size bottle, Grocery outlet has it for 14 same size bottle.

I use it at 10% in almost every batch. I have soap about a year and half old here with that recipe and never had DOS. I live in Texas and it gets quite humid here.
I find if I keep the linoleic% under 9% in my overall recipe that it works out well. I believe I got that tidbit of wisdom from DeeAnna, I think she said try to keep it under 15% and you may have less problems with DOS (don't quote me on that, I am not positive who said it). I know it is only one of the reasons you get DOS, but knock on wood, I have yet to see it.

I was just passing on a tidbit from someone else. I don't make any claim to having come up with the 15% rule of thumb. It does seem to work for me.

Any fat can develop rancidity (DOS), even coconut oil, which most people think is bullet proof. But every fat is intended by nature to be a source of food and energy. By definition that means sooner or later any fat will degrade, some sooner than others. There are many issues that can make a particular container of fat more prone to rancidity ... poor storage conditions, age, adulteration, improper processing, etc.

As far as avocado goes, it actually seems to be a pretty stable soaping fat. At least it has been for me.

Latest posts

Back