Olive Pomace vs Extra Virgin Olive shipment - am I taking crazy pills?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I recently bought EVOO and pomace from the same company and to me the labels are switched. They said they checked out the batch numbers and they are correct, but I've never seen EVOO darker than pomace. Plus the 'EVOO' that I used which I suspect is actually pomace makes a terribly dark soap when used. Are they correct or am I crazy?

IMG_20170311_145816.jpg

IMG_20170311_150309.jpg

In my experience, EVOO is muuuch darker than pomace. I bought some pomace OO from a local shop and it's a very light yellow. On the other hand, when I used to order EVOO from Brambleberry and WSP, it was always a very dark yellow-green. And it definitely can affect soap colour.

I buy my pomace OO from Soapers Choice in Chicago cuz I trust them. It's the same color as your second jug from the left -- maybe a little lighter than that. I do not use EVOO in soap. Note the comment on the Essential Depot label for pomace, "Finest Quality for Soap Making". This is true. Olive Oils are processed for the food industry, and therefore, for taste. EVOO is the least acidic; pomace is the most acidic, i.e., higher in fatty acids, which makes it the best choice for soap.

More importantly, most of the EVOO on grocers shelves today is adulterated. (Google "fake olive oil" to learn more). In a 2016 study, 85% of the EVOO tested failed the test performed annually by the California Olive Oil Commission based at UC Davis.

Tina wrote: How can you tell if your olive oil is EVOO or not? Apparently extra virgin olive oil and virgin olive oil will react differently in very cold temperatures. So try this experiment. In a small bowl, pour a bit of your EVOO. Cover it. Pop it in the fridge for 24-48 hours. When you take it out, if it has crystallized, it is extra virgin. If it has hardend into a solid lump, it is NOT extra virgin.

Back