Olive Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angezzz

Reaction score
I have used Extra Virgin Olive Oil in every recipe since I started making soap....nothing else. I was looking at the price difference between Refined Olive Oil, Pomace Oil and EVOO. What is everyones thoughts on the Refined and Pomace?

I have used Extra Virgin Olive Oil in every recipe since I started making soap....nothing else. I was looking at the price difference between Refined Olive Oil, Pomace Oil and EVOO. What is everyones thoughts on the Refined and Pomace?

I use plain olive oil, and it makes a whiter bar. EVOO tends to tint your batter green, and can throw off colors.

I would probably use pomace if it was easier to come by locally (I buy my OO from Sam's Club). It is supposed to trace faster, so that might be something to keep in mind.

Refined olive oil is great and usually the cheapest one you can it. If the pomace is cheaper, use that. It does trace faster and all. I can't say if it feels any better than regular olive oil though.

The biggest differences I know of is that pomace is not food safe. It comes from olive mash that has been chemically treated to get the last bits of oil.

I got some in a kit I ordered to make a Bastille bar. After a 4 week cure it was snottier than the Castile I'm using now at nearly 7 months. I got the olive for my Castile at Walmart and the pomace was from Brambleberry, I'm not sure if that made a difference. I will say that the Bastille snot made some of the best ---- shaving gel

The biggest differences I know of is that pomace is not food safe. It comes from olive mash that has been chemically treated to get the last bits of oil.

I got some in a kit I ordered to make a Bastille bar. After a 4 week cure it was snottier than the Castile I'm using now at nearly 7 months. I got the olive for my Castile at Walmart and the pomace was from Brambleberry, I'm not sure if that made a difference. I will say that the Bastille snot made some of the best ---- shaving gel

Pomace is safe for cooking. I see it at restaurant supply stores and at Gordon Foods. It's got a high smoke point and is good for deep frying and is 80% mono-unsaturated fats. Which has proven to lower cholesterol.

So, not sure where you found the information that it's not food safe.

I have used it in soap and found that it does trace a bit quicker.

Last edited:
I use the Daily Chef Olive Oil from Sam's. It is a good, consistent product that does not change the color of my soap, or the clarity of my liquid soap. And it happens to be cheaper for me to get than Olive Oil ordered from a supplier.

I also remember reading somewhere that it wasn't food safe...weird, because I know you can.

Pomace is safe for cooking. I see it at restaurant supply stores and at Gordon Foods. It's got a high smoke point and is good for deep frying and is 80% mono-unsaturated fats. Which has proven to lower cholesterol.

So, not sure where you found the information that it's not food safe.

I have used it in soap and found that it does trace a bit quicker.

I have access to both regular OO and pomace at my local Amish store. There's only a $2 difference in the price, and I've used both with no real discernible benefit of one over the other.

Latest posts

Back