Olive Oil? What grade should I buy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NameThatCandy

Reaction score
Hi there,

After all the research I did, I think I am ready to make my 1st batch.

I am going to order the supplies this weekend. I need to buy Olive Oil, but I find that there are several types olive oils, extra virgin, grade A and pomace. So which one should I buy?

Thanks

NameThatCandy said:
Hi there,

After all the research I did, I think I am ready to make my 1st batch.

I am going to order the supplies this weekend. I need to buy Olive Oil, but I find that there are several types olive oils, extra virgin, grade A and pomace. So which one should I buy?

Thanks

The lightest coloured one you can get! I've never used pomace as I go to Sam's and buy Bertolli Light Olive Oil by the 5 liter jug. The Bertolli Light works very well, and no shipping! Just use the lightest and you'll be fine! :wink:

Paul.... :) :wink:

I have 2 left in my oils room, but the last time I was at Sam's I think it was around $19 bucks, but don't quote me on that! It has came down since a year ago. This years harvest of olives was better than last. I think at one time it was about $27 or $28 bucks for that jug! That's when I started using RBO or Rice Bran Oil. I bought it directly from Riceland Rice in Ark.

Thats it! :D Mine is 3 liters also. Did you get it at Sams? Makes great soap! Been using this for years now.

My cousin in Italy makes olive oil. I think I will make a Castille batch from her fantastic oil.

It has overtones of green apples if you taste it.

http://www.sablanico.it/dk/oliven.htm

Unfortunately her webpage is only in Danish and Italian. I think I will offer to translate for her...

Hey Zen you sound so exotic. I would love to see how olive oil is made. Has anyone got a good recipe for pure olive oil soap. I think I will try that over the holidays for my mom. She swears by that stuff.

Latest posts

Back